Chip Questions

NorEaster

Mostly a question for the Chip programers, but I'm sure many of you can help answer this.

In the great state of Maine a few years back they switched to 91 octane. A lot of stations around my area are getting 93 octane again. My question is, should I get a 93 chip, or just tune for the slightly higher octane? Will I even notice a difference?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Just turn the timing up in your TT chip. The curves are the same, just the default timing values are changed, so your chip will work the same if you just bump it up 1-2 degrees. Get as much as you can without knock. Especially at low boost, these cars need timing.

Id rather have another pound of boost than a degree of timing personally. Id tune for 91 and then crank the boost a pound or two when you run 93.

Id rather have another pound of boost than a degree of timing personally. Id tune for 91 and then crank the boost a pound or two when you run 93.

My car runs like you state, ie: it likes more boost than timing, but my buddies car is the opposite. He has a duttneck and it still won't tolerate boost, but if he lowers timing, it still won't tolerate boost and it becomes a slouch, especially out of the hole. Not trying to dispute, just what I've seen on the only two cars I've tuned. My buddies car is very stock except duttneck intercooler FWIW.

You may not believe me, but I see 17+ lbs without knock on 91. Everything is ported that can be (well almost).

My car runs like you state, ie: it likes more boost than timing, but my buddies car is the opposite. He has a duttneck and it still won't tolerate boost, but if he lowers timing, it still won't tolerate boost and it becomes a slouch, especially out of the hole. Not trying to dispute, just what I've seen on the only two cars I've tuned. My buddies car is very stock except duttneck intercooler FWIW.

Theres probably a reason it doesnt tolerate boost. Oil coming in from somewhere (especially the PCV) or something... maybe oil going down the guides if it has ported heads.

Pulling out too much timing will make the car a pig on the bottom. The variable timing chips I used to do were the best of both worlds.. I havent done one of those in years. They adjusted overall timing based on boost tho.

Theres probably a reason it doesnt tolerate boost. Oil coming in from somewhere (especially the PCV) or something... maybe oil going down the guides if it has ported heads.

Pulling out too much timing will make the car a pig on the bottom. The variable timing chips I used to do were the best of both worlds.. I havent done one of those in years. They adjusted overall timing based on boost tho.

Makes sense. It's been spring cleaned but I don't remember if we capped the breather to the turbo or not. Thanks for the help and I'll look into that.

You may not believe me, but I see 17+ lbs without knock on 91. Everything is ported that can be (well almost).

I believe you. I don't run alky when it's cold and I can run 18psi still with enough timing pulled and that's how I do it. What does your car run in the 1/4 in street tune if you don't mind me asking?

I believe you. I don't run alky when it's cold and I can run 18psi still with enough timing pulled and that's how I do it. What does your car run in the 1/4 in street tune if you don't mind me asking?

No idea on the 1/4, nothing spectacular im sure. All we have is an 1/8 mile in Maine, and I have never run it.