Cheap AA batteries

Holy crap! I didn't know that. I have one collecting dust in the garage right now. I'm going to give it a whirl.

Jim

Ummm....no.

I hacked open a Radio Shack brand 6V. Here's what I got:

d-batteries_2.jpg

The worst part is that even though they are "D" sized, they're useless (other than to put them in a sock and beat the person that posted the YouTube video) because they don't have the 'nipples' on top. I tried them in a flashlight. No dice.

d-batteries_1.jpg

The most interesting part of the exercise was that Radio Shack jams Rayovac batteries in "Radio Shack" branded batteries.

Jim

Was yours a heavy duty powercell lantern battery made by the same brand that was in the video:biggrin:

BW

Was yours a heavy duty powercell lantern battery made by the same brand that was in the video:biggrin:

BW

Alas, no. It was not the Heavy Duty Powercell lantern battery. And it cost a lot more than the $5-$6 claimed in the vid. It's trash now, but at least it's not in my way anymore. I had it on the top of my tool chest for lack of a better use for it.

Jim

Those AA's appear to be "Heavy Duty" batteries so they would have 1/2 the AH of an Alkaline AA.

You can buy Alkaline AA batteries at Fry's for 40/$10 or 20 NiMH for $20, both would provide more run time/money vs. a $6 lantern battery and the NIMH batteries will last for years.

That's the problem with the modern internet. If one believes everything they see or hear without doing any follow up or research, well.... you get the picture....