Chasing Emissions

joejakegrace

Here's where I am - #791 with 17k. Had it 2 1/2 hears and it passed CT emissions when I got it (not by alot mind you but it passed).

Since then, new plugs, new pcv, new cat back exhaust (all required) and I replaced the K&N with a stock air box and filter I found.

Car runs reasonably well - occasional miss in mid range rpms.

Emissions yesterday - test 1 = blew HC by 5x the limit and CO by 2x. I took it home and put the K&N and original PCV back in - and added a bottle of dry gas. Took it back and it failed but barely - passed CO and HC was about 160/m when 120/m is pass.

Lead mechanic at the test station said he was pretty sure it was the mid range rpm miss. - He thought injector gunk or a mis on one plug - wire or plug.

Took it home and found one plug wire noticeably loose. Tightened it up and it seemed to lose 95% of the mid range miss. Took it back to emissions - FAILED BACK AT THE ORIGINAL NUMBERS!!

The only other thing I thought to change out as an easy fix was the )2 sensor - Tech said that might be part of it but it wouldn't blow the HC that bad. He's a pretty good guy and appreciates the car. Said he'd figure it out for me in an hour or so so that's what I'm going to do - I think.

Any other no brainers without dumping $ chasing things? I have a high end scan tool I use on my Formula that, for some nutso reason, won't even recognize the CPU on the TTA. I get "bad connection" readings. I plan on figuring that out this winter when I have the time but right now I have 30 days to get this thing fixed.

Any help would be appreciated.

DW

I'm moving your post to the forum where the expert emissions guys hang out, I hope we can put our heads together and figure it out :)

Lee

Please post all the numbers so we can see. There are a number of board members who can help you, but we need to see as much of the picture as possible (including an scan tool readings)

I'll post the test readings (all 3) tomorrow.

Can't post the scan tool readings (see above) as my tool (mac mentor) won't read a connection with this car - it does fine with my formula.

I'm going to play with that asap to fix but I have 30 days for emissions.

Thanks for the help.

joejakegrace said:
....Snip....Can't post the scan tool readings (see above) as my tool (mac mentor) won't read a connection with this car - it does fine with my formula.
Many scan tools for OBDII and CAN systems will not read OBDI or ALDL systems, that may be the reason you can't read from the ALDL port in your TR with your scan tool, maybe ;)

The mentor literally goes back to the first obdI - it's the highest end spx tool. I had no problem reading from my 88 formula.

One thing just struck me - if I had a fuse or power problem to the computer - any chance she'd still run as good as she does?? That would explain the problem getting it to read.