Changes to make for NL conv.

Bobtempest

Staff member
What are the changes that need to be made internally to the tranmission to properly change to a NLU converter?

Thanks,
Rob Hinson

Install a non lock up valve in pump and remove solenoid from bore,can be done w/out removing pump from transmission,remove the oring from the input shaft,converter must be out of trans ,remove checkball from input shaft ,can sometimes be done without removing it from trans.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Ok I understand removing the check ball part. As far as installing a NLU valve in the pump. Will I need to remove the pump and where can I get a valve? What does it look like?

Thanks,
Rob Hinson
TTA-11.14 Stock Long Block

If you have a Transtar in Montgomery you can get a NLU valve there. I used to by mine from Transtar in B'ham.

To get to the valve you remove the pan, pull the TCC solenoid out of the valve body. It has a couple wires running to it and is held in place by a couple small bolts. I think a 10mm socket will get it. Once the solenoid is out, you will remove a small snap ring, a retainer and then the LU valve. The NLU valve is then installed into the hole along with the retainer and snap ring. Make sure to get the snap ring back into to groove like it came out. You'd be suprised how many times guys complain of loose converters only to find out the NLU valve is laying in the pan.

Dusty,

What happens if the solenoid is left in the trans after changing to NLU? Is it just along for the ride in a dead fluid circuit or will it ruin something?

Yep...solenoid is there just for the ride...I left mine in...get a good set of snap ring pliers...the snap ring is very small and it's very tight in there...I did mine with the trans out and turned upside down and it still was a pain...not sure I'd want to do it laying under the trans...also getting the check ball out of the input shaft can be a pain...I used a knurled screw extractor...I tried the type that look like a screw...didn't work for me...the extractor just wouldn't grab hold of the piece in the end of the shaft that has to come out

I have a billet input shaft and has no check ball, but the hole is smaller than normal, so the check ball would not be needed. Would I have to drill the hole out for this or will it be ok!