champion or ta performance heads?

nailheadpowered

I know most people on here run the champion heads but alot of others state the better head is the ta performance head, just wanted to see what the public thought on this as i will be buying heads when i go to a roller setup etc. and only want to buy one set of heads once and im up in the air between the champion gn-r or the ta performance heads? take into consideration im looking to possibly down the road going for the ta aluminum stage block so don't know if that is going to make a difference.

Since I used both here is my opinion:

The weight of a fully assembled Champion head weighs the same as a bare TA head. The TA head is far a better piece. The TA head has extra cooling provision in it if you want to use it with the TA block.

Go with TA

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Haven't used the T/A's, but the Champions I've had, were alot less than acceptable....[3 sets]...

The TA will cost you more. The weight difference if you compare the two castings is significant (the TA weighs more). I had two failures with the Champions and the first one (their original head design) occurred at 130 mph at the end of a run. Water got under my tire and I almost lost the car into the Krail.
Jeff

Where do you get details on the TA heads? I checked TA's and Nick's website and did not see any details on them.

My first set..

The TA will cost you more. The weight difference if you compare the two castings is significant (the TA weighs more). I had two failures with the Champions and the first one (their original head design) occurred at 130 mph at the end of a run. Water got under my tire and I almost lost the car into the Krail.
Jeff

Never made it that far.. Drove some 10 mi to the dyno. By the time I got there, the pass side head had a 3" crack along the lower edge..Pissing water on the header, was the "clue" that I got had.:mad:
And, after "only 5 mo's", they were back from Champion, welded and "ready" to fail again....

People have gone faster on the Champion heads.Hell,M&A's have been faster than both and they dont even make em anymore;)

Well why not make it a poll then; by users only ,to help us non users to make a descision also, one for the Gn1s vs. Ta. & one for the Gn1-rs vs. TA High flows,,,,, poll seperately, which is what THIS thread is for & possibly make it a sticky for the engine dept.????? also in the thread-- reasons for choice of the people who uses both are a REAL PLUS. as they have experience with both.

Dont bash me its just a thought....:rolleyes:

People have gone faster on the Champion heads.Hell,M&A's have been faster than both and they dont even make em anymore;)

The TA head IS the old M&A head,just revised.TA bought the design drawings and made a few changes for the better.

The TA head IS the old M&A head,just revised.TA bought the design drawings and made a few changes for the better.

I thought I had heard that but when I asked TA,THEY DENIED THE HELL OUT OF IT AND SAID ITS A CLEAN SHEET DESIGN.

Yet another reason to go with Champion IMO Im happy with my Champion ported M&A's and Tom is a great guy to deal with who will stand behind his product.

Im tired of Buick vendors outrageous claims that they reinvented the wheel when we know its bull$hit.

thanks for the input i was leaning on the TA's as i would probably go with the TA block down the road as i have heard alot of great things about them but i also agree with clark6 lets hear from the people truly using the TA's and champions and especially those who have used both on the same engine. thanks.

thanks for the input i was leaning on the TA's as i would probably go with the TA block down the road as i have heard alot of great things about them but i also agree with clark6 lets hear from the people truly using the TA's and champions and especially those who have used both on the same engine. thanks.

If you want a good example of TA heads at work,check out Discostu's posts about them.He was running some great times with his stock block motor.

Mid to low 9's if I remember correctly,actually watched the car run and it runs HARD.

I would say TA heads .I had them on buick powered mustang and made 1013 hp to the wheels with only 252ci.

Dennis Butt

88 mustang gt 8.94 at 155.75mph (Buick powered)(sold)
Winner of Q8 at midwest challange 2003
Runner up Q8 at midwest challange 2002