Champion GN-1 Aluminum 14 Bolt Heads

Ktmron

I'm looking to get of used 14 bolt aluminum heads for my stock 109 block. My question is, can I use them without any modifications?
If I can, is there an advantage to use the 14 bolt heads?
What is the best head gasket to use with these heads?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Only advantage I see from getting a 14 bolt set of heads is if you upgrade to stage 2 one day. Other than that, no real benefit on a stock block.
As far as head gaskets, do you still have stock Pistons? If so, I'd use a felpro gasket. Nice to have a fuse in there. If you got forged pistons, I'd go with something a little stronger. Some like cometics, I always liked the sce copper gaskets.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Oh, and yes they will bolt on with no modifications.

I just picked up the stroker kit form TR Customs.
I was thinking about going with the RJC head gasket or cometices.

The GN1 14 bolt heads with their Scorpion rockers and ARP rocker studs is a good way to go.

Call and talk to Tom at Champion. There are lots of details to talk about in order to get your heads spec'd just right for your motor. There are lots of little upgrades and changes that can be made that you won't know about unless you ask. A good example is the ARP rocker studs.... if you don't ask you will get the cheaper studs.

If I could make only one change to my heads...I would add the Jesel rocker system. I got 8 bolt heads with a full race port job. They are sweet. I would just love the security of the 3 extra bolts on the rockers.

If I could make only one change to my heads...I would add the Jesel rocker system. I got 8 bolt heads with a full race port job. They are sweet. I would just love the security of the 3 extra bolts on the rockers.

That's what Tom did to mine.

Scorpions with arp studs aren't bad. I never had issues once I added the arp hardware after hundreds of 9 sec passes. Definitely cheaper. Jesels are best but lots of money

Scorpions with arp studs aren't bad. I never had issues once I added the arp hardware after hundreds of 9 sec passes. Definitely cheaper. Jesels are best but lots of money

Kevin, can you elaborate on the difference between the two? I was never able to come up with solid reasoning for one over the other.

Scorpions are like a standard sbc rocker where as the others are shaft mount.

Yes...I have shaft mounted T&D's. Very nice, but the way that the mount is machined and bolted for the Jesel system helps you sleep better at night...
I'll go with Kevin's opinion though. I've seen his cars run dozens and dozens of times.

It is all in how much you want to spend lol. If a budget is not an object, get the shaft mounts. If you don't want or can't spend the money, the Scorpions will work but shaft mounts are better. If you do the Scorpions, throw away the studs they come with and get the arp ones.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
These are the heads I just bought.

Those are 8 bolt heads. They can be turned into 14 bolt heads if you ever went to a stage setup, but as they sit, they will need the rocker pedestals machined off to be able to use either the scorpions or the T&D's. You can however have stock replacement style T&D's - be sure to buy the correct length bolts if going that route.

Thanks Eticket for setting me straight on the 8 or 14bolt question. Has anyone ever used Victor Nirtoseal graphite faced headgaskets?

Meant harland sharp. Will not let me edit.

KevinB had some questions above with head gasket suggestions. I've only used Felpro 1000s, 1007 lockwires and cometics. I see it as 1000s for the fuse and cometics if everything else is ready to handle the power. BUT the heads and block need to be smooth for the cometics not to leak.

If you have a stock deck on the block, use a victor or fel pro 9441 head gasket.
Reading through this thread, there is alot of information that need cleared up. The 14 bolt heads have no rocker pedistals, They use either the Scorpion SBC style stud mount, or a T&D Jessel style shaft system. There is also a stand that can be bought to use a stock style shaft.
The 8 bolt heads have the pedistals that use either stock rockers or T&D shaft mount, that have a different spacing than the stock head roller rockers. There isn't much room for a large diameter spring with the stock style roller rocker. For high rpms and high spring rates, the Jessel style is preferred.
8 bolt heads can be converted to use the Jessel syle rocker system.
Roller rockers for stock heads will put the rollers off center from the valve tips. GN1 heads have different valve spacing than stock heads to allow for larger valves.

I can vouch for the studs. I had one pull apart at the threads. Switched to arp and no issues.
I'm going with a shaft mount setup this winter.
I'm using cometic gaskets.