Ceramic coatings

Mr.Buick

I did a search on ceramic coating the intake and saw several replied, indicating that people had done it. No one said that it helped cool the intake charge. My question is to those people who have coated the intake, exhaust, up-pipes, down-pipes, did you notice any improvement? Did your 1/4 mile times improve, especially on hot days? I just had my headers done and the shop owner said the the coating will reduce the temp approximately 100 degrees. If that is true the intercooler pipes could really benifit with ceramic coatings. Before I go to all the expense of coating everything I would like to hear from you guys if it worked for you. thanks in advance

It is my understanding that the ceramic coating will keep the heat in...For instance you coated your headers which keeps the heat in the exhaust and it goes through the turbo and out the tailpipes...when it comes to the intake I would be worried that coating it would not let the intake cool effectively...This would help underhood temps, but it would hurt air temps in the motor where it counts the most.

ceramic is an insulator. it'll keep heat inside headers (good for keeping heat going to turbo and for lowering underhood temp) and on intake pipes will also insulate them from underhood heat. on the GNX buick ceramic coated the up-pipe. if you have a front mount, don't bother with coating the turbo to IC pipe though, it gets plenty hot from the turbo and would do better to radiate heat.

Slow91z

Give this some thought;

The intake air is cooler than the air in the engine compartment and there is a lot of radiant heat from engine components.

The coatings should help prevent the intake soaking up the heat from the oil underneath and from the points where the intake meets the heads.

A buddy recently coated all his exhaust pipes, headers and turbo elbow and housing on his Hot Air. I also had the turbo pieces done. My understanding is that it will hold the heat in and help the turbo spool with the added head. Also it will reduce engine compartment temps and therefore helping to lower the overall engine temp.

Neither he nor I have run our cars since doing this. I doubt I could record results based solely on this mod. as he and I have done other things that will have a greater affect on performance.

I'm happy knowing that it will help, if only a little bit. The thing I can enjoy thus far is that those cast iron turbo housing and elbow look 100x better in satin black than in their normal rust.

I know that the under hood temps are high, because when I open the hood the latch I burn my fingers. I have gotten used to using a rag to protect my hand. I would think that the under hood temps would increase the air going into the K&N cone filter and intercooler

Re: Slow91z

Originally posted by Silver 6
Give this some thought;

The intake air is cooler than the air in the engine compartment and there is a lot of radiant heat from engine components.

The coatings should help prevent the intake soaking up the heat from the oil underneath and from the points where the intake meets the heads.

I doubt that the air in the intake is cooler then the underhood temp EXPECTIALLY if you don't have a cold air intake...Maybe if you have a front mount.

I agree with the heat transfer from the block and heads, but I did not know you where going do the bottom of the intake...I also don't know if I would want it on the sealing surface to the heads.

Basically there are heat barriers and heat dispersant coatings out there. The ceramic coating is a barrier. On exhaust pipes it will keep the heat in. I think it's widely known that a ceramic coating is best for exhaust components. I don't think that it would be the best idea to do a manifold or intercooler pipes.