Center Console shift indicator light

horofino

The shift indicator light does not come on when ignition is truned on but does come on when headlamps are truned on, I don't think this is normal.
How do you replace the bulb?

Normal

The shift indicator light does not come on when ignition is truned on but does come on when headlamps are truned on, I don't think this is normal.
How do you replace the bulb?

Normal.
It IS only supposed to come on when the headlights / parking lights are on.

To replace bulb (which I dont think you need to if it works with the headlights ) It's easier if shifter is in neutral or drive position, remove the "U" clip from shifter handle, pull handle up, pull the ashtray out, remove the two screws, lift shifter plate up, unscrew gear indicator bezel to access shifter slide, the bulb is housed on underside of shifter slide. Reverse to install.

HTH

Matt

I know this an old thread, but saved me a ton of work chasing a short (wire pulled out of light socket) and repair. Thanks much all who contributed!

I know this is an old thread, but saved me a ton of time chasing a short (wire came out of light socket) and repair. Thanks much to all who contributed!

It's pretty common for that light to be dead. The wire tends to get caught in the shifter and cut.

I know I've been meaning to spend the 3 minutes to fix it for a little over 15 years now.

It's pretty common for that light to be dead. The wire tends to get caught in the shifter and cut.

I know I've been meaning to spend the 3 minutes to fix it for a little over 15 years now.
These repairs take time!!

Found the correct light socket new, turns out it's the same as an 84-04 corvette auto trans indicator. Available from ecklers.

Attachments

• 20170925_080506.jpg
    20170925_080506.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
Found the correct light socket new, turns out it's the same as an 84-04 corvette auto trans indicator. Available from ecklers.
I just saw this, mine severed in the mid 90's and could not find a replacement. Just verified they are still available and ordered a new one. Excited to get gear selector / shift indicator light working again.