CD players with built-in hard drives

TurboTer

Zap! Commander
Several months ago I saw in Best Buy a CD player with a hard drive. It was like a grand, and if I remember right, can store several hundred .MP3's. What I want to know is how many companies put them out, what are the prices, and how big are the hard drives (I'd have to have AT LEAST 10 megs). Is it worth it, or should I just spend $400+ on a Neo jukebox .MP3 holder that fits in my trunk instead? I didn't wanna get the Neo, since I needed a new head set anyway.

Sony is the only one. But I'm sure other companies will copy them in time, as they usually do.

Re: Re: Kenwood's Music Keg

Originally posted by TurboTer
For only $500, that doesn't sound bad at all. 10 gigs, eh? I have roughly 4,000+ .MP3's. Ya think 10 gigs is enough?
I have 58 gig of mp3 on a 60 gig hard drive:D :D

Re: Re: Re: Kenwood's Music Keg

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
I have 58 gig of mp3 on a 60 gig hard drive:D :D

58 gigs of .MP3's? That must be roughly 25,000 to 30,000 songs. I didn't think that many songs even existed! :)

Any updates on this? My radio just broke and my next one MUST include a hard drive. Anyone know any links to some good ones?

Damn, I thought I had alot of MP3s with 25.4 gigs on a 30 gig drive. I'm gonna have to setup a RAID storage array if I keep downloading!

What suprises me is that head units with hard drives aren't even close to becoming the standard, despite being out for almost two years. Circiut City only carries one old model for $799, and Best Buy stopped carrying their lone model. Why? :confused:

Come on guys, anybody? I really need a radio by next week and it must include a hard drive. I like the $800 Sony MEX-1HD, but don't like the fact that the hard drive is only 10 gigs, and hate the fact that you can't put .mp3's on the HD (unless you can convert them back to .wav format). Any other models?

The reliability/longevity of these units has not been the greatest. It's to the point that even the companies who have put them out (Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, Rockford etc...) are starting to discontinue them. I think twice about buying one and invest that money in CDRs:D

I always thought that idea would never last even though Sony bulit them. Too much possibility for temperature fluctuations and vibrations. Maybe if a remote mount unit (like a cd changer) was used a better environment for the hard drive could be designed (more cooling/warming capability and better shock prevention).

They tried that too - Alpine had one. i was junk as well....I think the problems were exactly what you mentioned.

Originally posted by zam70
The reliability/longevity of these units has not been the greatest. It's to the point that even the companies who have put them out (Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, Rockford etc...) are starting to discontinue them. I think twice about buying one and invest that money in CDRs:D

Do you have a link to the Kenwood, Alpine, and Rockford units? I've only been able to find the Sony and Pioneer units. Despite the problems they have, I'm still getting one. I have 4,000+ songs and I'm wayyyyyyyy to lazy to change CD's. :D

I like the fact that it has a 20 gig HD and it plays .mp3's, but remember, I also need a good head unit. The keg alone lists for $700, and add another $700 for a good radio and it translates to me being being broke. :) Are there any other head units with built-in hard drives other than the Sony and Pioneer ones? I really don't wanna spend more than $1,000 total.

Originally posted by zam70
$700.00 is about as cheap as I've seen them. The Alpine was $1000.00.

Is the Alpine one a head unit with hard drive? Do you have a link?