Catch Cans

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
UPDATED:

I've had a few people request catch cans lately and I bought some spare material to build a few extra.

These mount using the A/C delete panel bolts so no need for extra holes in your car. Obviously you need to have the A/C box removed though. I have some welded up, but with no fittings in them yet.

$100 shipped Will need your own 1 1/2" breather. Last one, I added -10 fittings to it. See last post for pictures.

Here is one mounted in my old car.
CIMG1679_zps30b97062.jpg

Here is what the bracket looks like.
IMG_1589.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like nice piece and craftsmanship - good welds to boot, good luck selling..

Mike are these baffled? Any pics of the inside?

thanks

I'll get a picture of one next time I weld it together. That 1 1/2" tube that the breather clamps onto, also extends about 2" down into the can. So the air/water/oil coming in hits it and has to go down before it can go out. The heavy water and oil fall out. I used one on my car and would rarely get a puff of smoke out of it, but I always drained a large amount of water out (e85).

Drain valve on the bottom?

Typically no and for a reason. When people drain them in the car, the open the valve and walk away while it drains. Half the time they forget to close it back. If you race at the track and push oil into the can during a pass with the valve open it's going to leak out. This bolts up right inline with the rear tire. You can guess what happens. It takes 5 min to unbolt it and dump it and bolt it back up.

Now if you just have to have a drain, I'll put an 1/8" npt bung on it, but I personally don't like them.

Typically no and for a reason. When people drain them in the car, the open the valve and walk away while it drains. Half the time they forget to close it back. If you race at the track and push oil into the can during a pass with the valve open it's going to leak out. This bolts up right inline with the rear tire. You can guess what happens. It takes 5 min to unbolt it and dump it and bolt it back up.

Now if you just have to have a drain, I'll put an 1/8" npt bung on it, but I personally don't like them.
I'll take one with the bung on the bottom and -10 fittings . Let me know how much. Thanks.

Here are some pictures of how one goes together, so you can see how the baffle works.
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG

Bump, I have parts left to build two more. Let me know how you want it configured.

Would you happen to be making any valve covers anytime soon ? Would love a nice set for my TA heads . Off subject sorry and another bumb for u

Would you happen to be making any valve covers anytime soon ? Would love a nice set for my TA heads . Off subject sorry and another bumb for u

Sorry, I'm not making anymore. The shop that used to cut my aluminum for these raised their prices so much so that even at $300 a set, it isn't worth my time. They are very labor intensive.

Mike,

Do you still have aluminum for 1 more of these?

Would these catchcans anodize well? I would be interested if it could be anodized at a later time.

Thank you,
Tyler

I would be in for 1 also if you have the material.
Thanks, Troy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nevermind just went back and reread that you only have material for 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mike,

Do you still have aluminum for 1 more of these?

Would these catchcans anodize well? I would be interested if it could be anodized at a later time.

Thank you,
Tyler

I have one last one that I welded up this morning. I would just need to add whatever fittings you want.

I'm not sure how well it will anodize though. There is a mix of aluminum in it. some 3003 some 6061 and 5356 filler. They would probably all anodize some, but not necessarily match. Let me know if you want it.

I have one last one that I welded up this morning. I would just need to add whatever fittings you want.

I'm not sure how well it will anodize though. There is a mix of aluminum in it. some 3003 some 6061 and 5356 filler. They would probably all anodize some, but not necessarily match. Let me know if you want it.

How large are the cannisters again? Like how much fluid does it hold?

Hm. I will call my anodizing place tomorrow and ask them what they think.

If they say it should anodize fine, then I'll grab it. If not, I will unfortunately have to pass :/

I am in Cali, so it may be later in the day for you before I let you know. Just want to give you a heads up is all :)