Catch can off valve cover

TurboBuRick

Staff member
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Sick of the oil coming out the breathers. This is what I came up with. The other valve cover is caped off. Thoughts / comments .......

Please excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

Attachments

• Catch.jpg
    Catch.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 587
  • Catch 2.jpg
    Catch 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 572
I run a similiar sytem for both valave coners I just t-the hose, keeps the oil off the valve cover, just rember to empty it out, get a lot of moisture in the can

Attachments

• PICT0019_00.jpg
    PICT0019_00.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 498
I took a smog pump electric motor from a LT1 350 engine and use it to pull the crank case pressure from the engine while under boost, and it works great with my catch can. It totally stopped leaking oil.

Keep an open breather on the passenger side valve cover. on the driver side valve cover run a hose to the IN side of the pump, and a hose from the OUT side to the catch can. Wire the pump on a 12v relay and hob switch T'd into your boost/vac line. set the hob switch to power the pump at whatever boost you want the pump to come on, (so whenever my car see's 3psi and up, the pump comes on and pulls crankcase pressure out, and turns off when its under boost) and should stop the oil leaks. We've done this to several cars with excellent results :cool:

Jason

Dual Catch Cans

I went a slightly different route with mine.

I installed two AMW oil separator / catch cans. One for the passenger valve cover and the other for the PCV system. Have a check valve in line for the later.

Had to fab up a bracket to mount them both (as you know there's not much extra real estate under the hood of these turbo buicks). I installed them on the flat area on passenger inner fender well, beside battery.

Can't use a catch can vented to the atmosphere up here in Canada...if / when the smog police catch you it's a big fine...and they're starting to check this type of thing far too often.

So I have mine vented back into the 1) turbo inlet and 2) into the plenum...just thru a catch can first.

dave

Attachments

• AMW catch cans 005.jpg
    AMW catch cans 005.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 409
  • AMW catch cans 002.jpg
    AMW catch cans 002.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 398
  • AMW catch cans 001.jpg
    AMW catch cans 001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 394
25psi+ :cool:

I think the main reason for the problem is the aftermarket v-covers. No baffles. Just a wide open hole. :eek:

For a daily driver the system should be routed back to the intake. Canada is ahead of the US on the regulation of this stuff.

My car only gets driven once and a while and only short trips. :redface: :rolleyes: :D

I still use my pcv, stock valve covers, and the open element breathers. No problems yet but I don't run that much boost.