Catalectic converter

vader-GN

Does not having a Catalectic converter effect the performance of the motor. My 87 has the TT chip with 09 injector’s adjustable regulator Tinn Men air system. Does the motor need that back presser from the converter?

:confused:

Does not having a Catalectic converter effect the performance of the motor. My 87 has the TT chip with 09 injector’s adjustable regulator Tinn Men air system. Does the motor need that back presser from the converter?

:confused:

No it does not! Contrary to old school thought, Turbo motors do not operate better with post turbo backpressure. They are just the opposite.
The best exhaust for a turbo motor is ZERO post turbo back pressure. Not exactly ideal noise wise, etc. so a good straight flowing exhaust that maintains comfortable(legal) noise levels is best.
For racing, ideally you would want the exhaust exiting the bottom of the downpipe with NO hookup to the exhaust system.

The only need for the catalytic converter is of course EPA requirements. For off road use, it produces unwanted back pressure.

To reinforce Dave's response, I felt it on the butt dyno when I took off the original cat at 155k miles. It was a HUGE difference, and by far the best bang for the buck mod I've done. My car was original at that time: test pipe, RA93 chip on stock injectors, and a 233 fuel pressure regulator netted me over 4 tenths gain in the 1/8 mile. Mind you the orignal cat was probably more of a catalytic "clogger".

Make sure you change or turn the rotaries when you replace brake pads. Sorry, couldn't resist.;)