Cashier's Check vs Paypal

87Ltd

Hi all,

Haven't sold many items in the past, so I though I'd ask from the "pros". Is it safer to accept payment thru Paypal or a cashier's check? I know on Craigslist, they warn about banks accepting fake cashier's checks and the seller being on the short end of the stick. Is this true, as I've got a buyer for an item and this is what he wrote.

"Also, if i decide to buy i will most definetly be sending a bank certified cashier's check. Hopefully that is alright with you. I've had bad experiences with paypal and dont like to use it anymore, nor do i trust them anymore."

TIA

I am interested in this, what is the deal with a Postal Money Order?

I guess you would get it form the PO and cash it at....?

Nowadays everything can be forged, even postal money orders.

The best thing to do prior to depositing the check/MO, go to the bank and ask them if the check/MO is an official genuine document prior to making deposits.

Make sure the check/MO clears before you send anything out.

I am going through something similiar right now. I sold a car on E-bay this past week. The buyer came down and looked at the vehicle before he bid on it. Well he won the bid. I will not release the keys nor the title to the vehicle unless he sent me the cashiers check and it clears. There has to be some type of trust taking place. I told him that he knows where I live and said "Your right, I'll overnight the check to you."

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

So is Paypal the way to go since the funds go from one account(buyer) to another(seller)?

I use postal moneyorders never had a problem

and after you buy a lot of stuff from the same guy ya really don't have to do that :cool: :biggrin: back to the thread... nowadays I guess its a dog eat dog world ... you wouldn't believe the $$ I have sent to people I didn't know back in the mid/late 90s ... def can't do it that way now .. :redface: be careful ... let the $$$ clear :cool:

No checks.

First, the bank NEVER gets the short end of the stick. Even cleared checks can be "reversed" months later and YOU'RE out the money, even if your bank initially cleared it.

I would go with cash, bank transfer wired directly to your account (in the exact amount of the purchase, no more), PayPal, or Postal Money Order in that order. Agree with others above-- if you accept a piece of paper, make it a Postal Money Order. The Post Office can verify instantly and you literally walk out with the cash.

I think you're being set up for a scam by the language you quote.

Good luck,
Doug

Postal Money Orders

I have always asked for a Money Order from the post office and I have had no problems.:) The buyers never complained either.:cool:

I agree with the Post Office money order, I mean, he is gonna goto the PO to send the check certified mail anyway... This way he can skip the trip to the bank assuming he has the cash on hand already. I have used paypal as well, but it really does you no good if the person pulls their money out right after you send it... Paypal can only refund what the person has in their paypal account... Thankfully I have had nothing but good experiences buying and selling to members here, but I have also read a few horror stories as well...