Cardone rebuilt Power Master issues

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
I figures it was about time I did this post because things are not right here. I have replaced dozens of Power Masters in the last 20 years but lately the Units purchased from Kirban or Gbody that come from Cardone seem to go bad in less that 2 weeks. I have this one Customer that is going on his 3rd. Are their anoyone else out there going through this? I have noticed that Cardone are using this potent cleaner as when I open the Cover, the smell is so strong that my Toe Nails curl. A posibility that the seals fail. The only way I found to solve this is to fill the Resevoir and let it gravity drain for days.

Keep me on the loop if you have encountered this matter.
Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe
I've got a rebuild on the shelf that I received in October. When did you first notice the solvents?
I'll watch closely, I'll install soon , you've made me nervous. :(

Putting one on a car now. The motor is new. We'll see how it goes?

Are your units leaking or?

This is a problem I started noticing last year. I cannot tell if the Motors were new as even used ones can look new. The issue I saw is that the Motors would keep on running and never shut off. I did some switch and Acc. Ball changes and that would not solve it. I believe that the Cylinder itself can`t keep the pressure.

Sounds like there might be an issue with the solvent destroying the internal seals.

The last Powermaster unit I had lasted less than 5 months, it died instantly while driving the car, no brakes at all. Advance Auto would NOT honor their lifetime replcement. I tried to sue them but they had a better lawyer than I did. These companies are getting worse by the day. The only thing I had left was to convert to vacuum brakes and I've had no problems since. Also, converted to another source for auto parts. When a company, (Advance Auto) does not live up to it's promise, then it's time to move on. From what I've heard, other than very small specialty shops, Cardone is the only rebuilder for the Powermaster and they have become very careless.

I purchased one of these units from Kirban last April, it did have the strong rubbing alcohol smell. My motor was definetly used, I took it off and painted it. When I did this I drainded out the alcohol.
The unit was installed on my friends TR in July and is working fine so far.

Pulled my car in the garage earlier after about an hour drive and just before I shut it off I looked down and the brake light was on. Shut then engine off , then restarted and brake light went off. Cycled the key again, key on engine off and the booster pump ran for at least 20 seconds before I shut it off with the key. They brake light has not come back on and the brakes have felt normal. Does this sound like a pump failing? I have a cardone unit I got from gbodyparts in december with only about 1,000 miles so far.

Likely not the pump failing. When the accumulator starts going bad it takes longer to charge it, etc. You could have a failing accumulator, or internal seals leaking.
The pump or motor rarely fail unless drivent to do so by other failing parts not getting attention.

The pump cycles more when the accumulator goes bad. That gives the illusion that it's taking more to fill it but Ttype6 is right. The accumulators ability to hold less reserve results in more pump cycles.

Internal leaks can also cause over cycling but in that case they tend to cycle on their own without pedal even being pressesed.

gnxtc2 has the right idea if you want to keep the pm.

RL

I knew that! ;) You guys just wait till you get up here to 65 years old, you too can have fun making stupid mistakes like me.

Bench tested the rebuild. Definitely a strong alcohol smell.
Holding pressure well - 6 hours and no leakdown so far

That's good, means the check valve and internals are holding. Wish there was an easy way to flush that chemical out of there so it doesn't take out the seals over time.