Carburetor fitting?

shaggy

I'm finally starting to work on the engine for my Skyhawk and I need to take care of a few details. One problem I've ran into is that the carburetor fuel filter/inlet interferes with the thermostat housing. Does anyone know where I can get a carburetor fitting for a 78 turbo 4v that doesn't have the internal filter? A threaded nut with a flare fitting would be great. I was planning on using an in-line filter anyway.

Oh, be careful beating on 30 year old engines. You never know what's lurking inside. Check out the half pressed wrist pin in the second picture. That wasn't even the cause of this "parts" engines demise.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_7028.jpg
    IMG_7028.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7023.jpg
    IMG_7023.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 109
Plumbing section at lowes. It sounds stupid, but they have myriad of brass fittings, should be real easy to find a street elbow (90degree turn with one male and one female) that would probably work for you (Male NPT, Female Flare). If there's no lowes a local plumbing supply store would have exactly what you need. Just bring the old part so you have an idea of exactly what thread you need.

Edit: Thanks for the reminder on the engines. Just because they turn doesn't mean they're 100%.

You probably don't need the flare fitting. You are going to use an inline filter and that won't have flare fittings. I think you could use a NPT to barb fitting.

I find that alot of the threads on the brass fittings sold at the hardware stores don't always match with the oem parts.

When this happens I re-thread the brass fitting. It's touch and go with them at times. Get a thread gauge just to make sure. You don't want to damage the oem part. :cool:

Follow up question. I found out that the carb I have is a high altitude model, 17058246. Do any of you know what the differences are between it and the normal altitude unit?

Thanks,