Carbon seal breaking

Cbring

What am I doing wrong when putting the center section and compressor back plate together. I keep breaking my carbon seal. I have the 4 piece carbon seal on a stock turbo. The seal is installed in the back plate correctly but when I tighten it down it breaks and I'm doing it evenly and not even getting to torque specs.

The carbon seal should have clearance without the spring and washer assembly behind it. You must have the thrust assembly installed incorrectly.

It is very easy to break those things! What works for me is to use a little silicone grease on the o-ring and backside of the carbon seal itself to hold it all together. Do the same for the thrust bearing to keep it from falling off the bearing housing when you try to put it all together.

Also make sure your thrust bearing is not hanging up on the dowel pins on the bearing housing, and your thrust spring is installed properly in the backplate.

When you go to install it all, put the backplate on the work bench, set the bearing housing into place and then install the bolts. Tighten in a criss/cross pattern and all should be fine!

All the parts, minus the quad ring. This is a 360* kit, yours might differ

IMG_1379-vi.jpg

CS spring installes small end to backplate

IMG_1382-vi.jpg

Install lock plate, turn it 90* to position as shown

IMG_1383-vi.jpg

Install oring next, use silicone grease, white lithium or assembly lube

IMG_1384-vi.jpg

Install seal, it should float when pushed, with no binding at all.

IMG_1385-vi.jpg

Install star spring, it should be concave when installed (bowed into backplate)

IMG_1386-vi.jpg

Coat thrust washer, and bearing housing with assembly lube to hold thrust bearing into place

IMG_1388-vi.jpg

Install bearing and quad ring

IMG_1389-vi.jpg

Place bearing housing down carefully on seal plate and start bolts

IMG_1391-vi.jpg

Tighten down in a criss cross pattern evenly. Use loctite on all hardware!

Hope this helps a little, feel free to ask me any questions!

Reed
reed@workturbochargers.com

Nice tech post Reed. Did you ever got hold of Shane to see if you want to be a vendor? Love to see you on more with tech stuff.:cool:

Nice tech post Reed. Did you ever got hold of Shane to see if you want to be a vendor? Love to see you on more with tech stuff.:cool:

I have been really busy, but I am starting back to work on my Buick...so I will be around here a bunch.

I am just glad to help out a little, where I can!

reed

Cool Reed. Glad to see you're getting back into it. I'll try and give you a call tomorrow if you're not gonna be busy.

Sounds like me Reed. I closed the shop at 7 tonight and am still answering email for tech stuff.:rolleyes: