carb hat mods ?

I haven't done anything yet. What I would like to do is find an aftermarket hat take will fit under the hood, yet not be so squashed in the neck as the OEM part.

I haven't done anything yet. What I would like to do is find an aftermarket hat take will fit under the hood, yet not be so squashed in the neck as the OEM part.
I took my spare hat and put in a press flaattened all the bendsout and took a power hammer to it to raise the roof. after that I added one inch to the carb flange for more height. It made a very noticable improvemant in power. am working on the inlet opened it to 3.5 inches. Also will be opening up the inletfrom where I raised the baseback to the inlet this should open up that nasty bottl neck before the carb by 50 percent will keep you posted on that after some sheet metal work and welding. Mike

I took my spare hat and put in a press flaattened all the bendsout and took a power hammer to it to raise the roof. after that I added one inch to the carb flange for more height. It made a very noticable improvemant in power. am working on the inlet opened it to 3.5 inches. Also will be opening up the inletfrom where I raised the baseback to the inlet this should open up that nasty bottl neck before the carb by 50 percent will keep you posted on that after some sheet metal work and welding. Mike

Well where's the pics Mike?:confused::biggrin:

True, but since I've been showing you guys how to I figured you would return the favor.

True, but since I've been showing you guys how to I figured you would return the favor.

yea.... I know..... but we would rather have a fully finished and tested product. before suggesting somebody else try our methods.

that way if its a failure you dont look like a complete bafoon.

A.j.:biggrin:

Charlie I do noy have a digital camera. But I do try to help the cause by sharing what worrks on my car.Just by looking at the hat it is easy to see the restrictions.The area that needs cut out is in the flat part of the hat where it bends from the snoutto the base. By adding to the bottom one can now cut out that restriction and weld a new part in opening the throat hence more air flow the biggest problem with my motor was after all the mods I could not feed the motor the amount of air it needed .I have stated several times to you guys how much bettermine runs without the hat just decided to do someyhing about it .Thats why Fred Carrados car would not take a 780 It was not to much carb but not enough air. If you really need a picture I will send some pics on one of my buddies phones. Thank you for all your help it is much appreciated. Mike

LOL you guys! I want too see some pics too of a GS...
computer was down will get pics for you soon but I will be sending you a camera in the mail. You will have to develope them. thanks Mike . P.s. forgive my spelling blind as bat with no glasses.

yea.... I know..... but we would rather have a fully finished and tested product. before suggesting somebody else try our methods.

that way if its a failure you dont look like a complete bafoon.

A.j.:biggrin:
these mods gave my car the most improvemant since I put my new motor and tranny in. Thats why it was falling flat on itd face above 4500. Take off the hat and it will rev to 6500 all day.Mike

computer was down will get pics for you soon but I will be sending you a camera in the mail. You will have to develope them. thanks Mike . P.s. forgive my spelling blind as bat with no glasses.

I know that feeling Mike. I have to take my glasses off to see things up close but without them everything is pretty much blobs.:frown:

these mods gave my car the most improvemant since I put my new motor and tranny in. Thats why it was falling flat on itd face above 4500. Take off the hat and it will rev to 6500 all day.Mike

I was hoping to hear somone wasn't having an issue like this and it confirms that the bonnet needs to be modified to work better. Thanks Mike.:cool:

I know that feeling Mike. I have to take my glasses off to see things up close but without them everything is pretty much blobs.:frown:

I was hoping to hear somone wasn't having an issue like this and it confirms that the bonnet needs to be modified to work better. Thanks Mike.:cool:
Charlie wwhen you add 1 inch to the carb throat you just cot the bottom off and lower to the origanal throat which doubles the size going into the carb. Then just saw the inlet opening off about 2 inches backand that is about3.5 inches. Im sure my car is not the only one starved for air an ex buick mechanic gave me info from the dealer ships on these motors when they were new it was made restricted to pass emissions and cut back on power for warranty reasons. After reading that and thinking about the problem it just made good semse to try, Glad I did not have the new turbo from A.J. before this was figured out or I would have been lost. The car would just nosedown at4500 could not figure it out revved to 6700 with it before but the hat was off had the triagular filter on it wth no hood. When I washed the filter it was wet so I took off the hat and went tothe bar guess what it screamed. It does not look pretty but it works Great there is no way you can make it worse than the factory pos thats on it. Food for thought guys you will not be dissapointed got better things to do than blow smoke up you guys asses.Just sharing the things That work for me . Mike

Awesome thanks:smile: Mike your the Man.:cool: