Car won't start

Maddox Racing

:confused:Just bought the car over the weekend. Its an '84 GN t-top. Bought the car from the former owners widow. I know it ran when he passed away 5 or 6 years ago because I'm friends with his son. Put a new battery in it and checked all the fluids. Tried to fire it up and got nothing but a faint dinging sound. Thought maybe it was a bad ground or maybe the starter switch. Anybody had this happen before?

So was the last time it ran 5 or 6 years ago? You might want to ask his son that question.

5 year old gasoline in the tank will be a problem even if you can get the engine to turn over.

Have you tried to crank the engine over using a ratchet,just to see if it's free?

Any signs of any creatures having been chewing on the wiring?

Was the car stored inside or had been sitting outside?

It hasn't been driven since he passed away. The son wasn't a car person. I drained the tank and put fresh gas in it. The motor will spin, I checked that before I bought it. Haven't seen any signs of anything being chewed on. It was stored outside with a cover on it sitting on jack stands. I put a fresh battery in it and if you wiggle the key back and forth it makes a faint dinging sound so thats why I thought it might be the ignition switch.

car

I would have left it on the jack stands because of it being a 84. Try to sell it and bi a 86 or 87 just my o2s good luck.

I would have left it on the jack stands because of it being a 84. Try to sell it and bi a 86 or 87 just my o2s good luck.

He bought it for a good price, see hot air section, the faint dinging sound is the door open chime with the key in ignition. Are the idoit lights lighting up when you turn the key on, look for the check engine soon light.

+1 on check battery cables and starter.

Chuck

I hear the door chime but nothing is lighting up, windows won't work, and trunk won't pop. I'm going to trace the cables. I thought it might be the ground or the ignition switch since I'm getting nothing but the door chime.

It might

Have an anti theft device. Like a kill switch. Check under and around the dash .or could even be in the chip. Hope this helps

Checked the ground. It looks good. Don't see any kind of anti theft device. How can I tell if its in the chip? Could it possibly be the ignition switch? Now I don't even hear the door chime.