car wont start

chas52

having a little prob. all elect works except starter doesnt even click.
tried nuetral, wires are tight on starter, tight on battery, fuses are good.
fuel pump works lights horn signals radio windows juast have absolutely nothing when ther key is turned. was driving fine turned it off for 30 sec and then nothing in the start cycle. any guesses?

Ground wire on the block, make sure that bolt is snug.
Happened to me at the track, car would not even click but headlights, radio and all worked fine.

Check the ground, use a set of jumper cables from batt ground to the turbo shield or outside case of alternator to test if the cable is bad.

Same with positive cable, to starter
BW

chacked all connect. took starter out. if i remember right you can bench test
the starter. dont you hook neg cable to the case and then the pos to the solenoid? all places closed on the 4th so im just winging

HAPPY 4TH

Ive had starters on equipment that would "work" sitting on your workbench when you applied power to them, but under a load "turning the engine over" they would fail.

If you do pull it off, smell it.

If it stinks to holy hell, replace it.

Ground to the outer case, positive to the big lug on the solenoid, then you use a small wire to the S connection and the solenoid will fire off the starter.

Did you try beating it with a hammer yet?

BW

that was the first thing i tried was a big hammer
ill try the bench test in the am
thanks

well found the prob. the starter is shot but when the new one went in the pos cable was hitting the heat shield and caused a small fire that burnt the plastic on the pos cable. all fixed now but i have purchased a fire ext to carry in the trunk
lucky me huh