Car died

odawg714

Hey guys. I have a 87, I was driving today on the hwy and right as I was getting off the freeway the dash and stereo lights flickered a few times and the car shut off and coasted to a stop. I towed it to the house and checked a few things. First issue I found was the battery cable running to the starter looked smoked. I tested both ends and both ends had 12v. Tested the starter side and that had 12v. Checked fuses and all the fuses under the dash are good. When you turn the key on it does nothing. The chime that indicates the key is in the ignition is very faint. Also the windows won’t roll up or down. So basically the only power source that works is head lamps and tail lamps and some light. Any ideas?? When you toggle the lock switch there’s a relay behind the computer that clicks but won’t lock/ unlock

Do a search on the site for symptoms of fusible link problems. There are several down by the starter and I seem to remember similar problems when one of those goes. If one is melted, then you can have fun figuring out why but at least that will narrow it down. Of course, I could be completely wrong though. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search on the site for symptoms of fusible link problems. There are several down by the starter and I seem to remember similar problems when one of those goes. If one is melted, then you can have fun figuring out why but at least that will narrow it down. Of course, I could be completely wrong though. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, would check the fusible links also. I had the same symptom with lights flickering then everything going dead. The fusible links from the harness were tight and when the engine flexed on accel/decel it pulled the links apart. Ended up having to get it towed like you did.

Thinking fusible links also. Cut all of them out as they are over 30 years old and who knows what they have been through.

Replace them with some other type of fuse.

BTW- Most electric lock and unlock systems do not work now