Car won't start??

VegasSE

Okay, my buddy put new injectors in his car last night, followed the directions to a "t", and now the car won't crank at all. You can hear the pump go on, fuel pressure is fine, injectors are spraying, but the car won't crank at all to start. It's not the battery, and the injectors are the only thing he replaced. Ideas?

to clarify...you turn the key and nothing happens? clicks? starter engage?

If you turn the key and nothing happens, the first place i would look is your starter to see if you are in fact getting power to it. You can always pull it, take it into you local parts store and have them test it....

I replaced an intake manifold once on a SBC once, got it all together, went to start, and heard a god awful grinding noise...the starter coincidently decided to let go and it had nothing to do with the intake swap...

Post up some more info....

Thanks,
Nate

to clarify...you turn the key and nothing happens? clicks? starter engage?

If you turn the key and nothing happens, the first place i would look is your starter to see if you are in fact getting power to it. You can always pull it, take it into you local parts store and have them test it....

I replaced an intake manifold once on a SBC once, got it all together, went to start, and heard a god awful grinding noise...the starter coincidently decided to let go and it had nothing to do with the intake swap...

Post up some more info....

Thanks,
Nate

Thanks Nate. It just doesn't crank, turn over, or even start to. When you turn the key forward, the pumps start, injectors spray, then you turn the key to start it, it just clicks once and nothing. The dash lights light up as normal when you turn the key forward and off when you let it back. I just doesn't make any attempt to turn over. Obviously starter is the first thing you think of but it would be highly coincidental timing. I was hoping for some simple things to check before we took the starter off. Maybe we missed something basic and simple, but I can't think of anything else except the starter or the ignition switch.

Did you guys disconect the Orange ECM wire before doing the install? Cause if that isn't hooked back up that is exactly what you will get!

Scot W.

The car will still crank if the orange ECM wired is disconnected.

Get under there and bang that starter with a hammer. It'll knock the crap off of the brushes.

You could also confirm the wire to the start is getting a signal when you crank the engine. I believe it is the purple wire.

Did you guys disconect the Orange ECM wire before doing the install? Cause if that isn't hooked back up that is exactly what you will get!

Scot W.

That was my first thought too... but he said the fuel pump kicks on when he turns the key, so the orange wire is connected and the ECM is getting power.;)

VegasSE-
I also vote for the starter...probably just a coincidence...but I've had similar weird things go out on my cars that had nothing to do with whatever I just worked on.

put a battery charger on it and crank it... the starter draws a lot of amperage... sounds like your battery is just low.

fyi the dash lights can be on and you still might not have enough power to crank.

try that first and then try the starter...

Scot W.

Yep, it's all good.

That was my first thought too... but he said the fuel pump kicks on when he turns the key, so the orange wire is connected and the ECM is getting power.;)

VegasSE-
I also vote for the starter...probably just a coincidence...but I've had similar weird things go out on my cars that had nothing to do with whatever I just worked on.

It wouldn't be the first odd thing to happen with a GN that's for sure. :tongue:

put a battery charger on it and crank it... the starter draws a lot of amperage... sounds like your battery is just low.

fyi the dash lights can be on and you still might not have enough power to crank.

try that first and then try the starter...

We did that already actually. First thing I tried was jumping the car to make sure it wasn't a battery issue.

Sounds like a starter to me...just verify the small purple wire is getting power when you turn the key to start.

if its the starter... its no big deal - i changed mine on Sunday in about 15 minutes.... plus it gives you a chance to install a mini-starter... if he doesnt have one already.

ps did you jump the car with a car, jump box or a battery charger? ive had jump boxes that over time proved worthless... and seen batteries that wouldnt jump from another car....

Or another possibility if it has a alarm on it they might have a starter interupt relay or a bad alarm box.:rolleyes: