Car won't burn out

85 GN man

When I tromp on it accelerates decent and will bang/chirp the tires when shifting into second gear and shifts smooth into 3 rd. and fourth ok. But car will not burn out from a standstill. When I bought it a couple of years ago the guy said it had a shift kit and a higher stall converter although that wasn't the owner, the owner apparently went to prison so I couldn't contact him directly. What do you think ? Seems to me the converter
maybe was replaced with to low of a stall. From what I have read car should easily do a burn out..
Where is a good place to buy a new one or have my current one rebuilt ?

I had a similar issue maybe, car builds no boost when brake torquing / slug off the line . I thought the wrong converter was in too, but as it turned out the stator shaft in the trans was stripped. I installed a hardened shaft and now burnouts are optional.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

probably because its an 85. only 86-87 GNs do burnouts :bag:

Tires have a lot to do with it...with street tires mine would smoke on demand, now with mickey thompson DR I have to power brake to get them to spin.

Is your car stock? What level of boost are you running? Im far from an expert but their are a lot of variables to consider.

Tip (from someone who has asked a lot of ?'s and gotten a lot of help from this forum): Modify your signature to list your mods or any relevant info about the car...it gives other forum members an idea of what you're working with and makes it easier to give relevant advice ;)

Make sure your wastegate puck is all the way closed. If your not building boost at the line standing on the brakes that is the first place I would look.

When I tromp on it accelerates decent and will bang/chirp the tires when shifting into second gear and shifts smooth into 3 rd. and fourth ok. But car will not burn out from a standstill. When I bought it a couple of years ago the guy said it had a shift kit and a higher stall converter although that wasn't the owner, the owner apparently went to prison so I couldn't contact him directly. What do you think ? Seems to me the converter
maybe was replaced with to low of a stall. From what I have read car should easily do a burn out..
Where is a good place to buy a new one or have my current one rebuilt ?
I dont see any signature mods but do you have an aftermaket boost gauge that you can do a boost/rpm stall test? ........This would help determine what the converter is......... And as bryesh stated a stripped stator spline will cause it also, the stator is a torque multiplier used at launch and low - mid rpms to enhance acceleration and tire smoking abilities. Every single stock stator shaft has spline damage and if bad enough will let the stator freewheel and you loose the torque multiplication. Get us some more info so we can help u out>

Install a line lock,great for smoke shows.
A linelock just locks the front brakes,but when you power brake the car your rear brakes are also in play making it harder to get the tires spinning.
If you have a stockish,hot air car it may be the only way you will get it to do a smoke show.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,
I will update my sig and identify any upgrades I know of.
I will check the wastegate puck, and I do have an aftermarket boost gauge and a AFR gauge on the pillar.
It does build some boost while power braking.
I will shoot a little video and repost with more info.
Like I mentioned I bought the car from a small shop who was selling it for a friend who supposedly went to prison and he didn't know everything about the car. He did say it had a 600 to 800 higher stall converter, a shift kit and a replaced turbo with one from a 86. Not sure if it is all true.

Thanks

Attachments

• 104_1659.JPG
    104_1659.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
  • 104_1661.JPG
    104_1661.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 237
  • 104_1627.JPG
    104_1627.JPG
    962.2 KB · Views: 241
You appear to have a stock configuration 85 " hot air " Depending on any upgrades a hot air at or near stock builds boost slower off idle and probably won't break the tires loose from a stand still. A little power braking and it should not be hard to break loose.
To see what the stall is. Hold brakes and increase throttle untill you see 0 boost 0 vac. Note the rpms

See if the boost climbs when you power brake it. The boost should continue to climb until the tires spin or the brakes can't hold it anymore. If the boost and rpm gets to a certain point and just stops, you probably have a Monte SS converter in the car. It happens all the time if the trans has ever been rebuilt at a local trans shop.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app