car turns but does not start and popping out of exhaust

510TURBO

ALKYHOLIC
before it died i thought i had a bad timing chain going out so could that be the problem? my mechanic thinks its a cam sensor or a crankshaft sensor. thanks for your advice:biggrin:

Timing chain??

before it died i thought i had a bad timing chain going out so could that be the problem? my mechanic thinks its a cam sensor or a crankshaft sensor. thanks for your advice:biggrin:

lots of miles>> chain.
Easy test to check and confirm.

U can..

118K on miles and could u please tell me a couple ways to check and confirm? sorry for being dumb:redface:. thanks chuck

Set the crank to 25*ATDC, on the compression stroke, remove the sensor cap, and see where the window in the ring is, compared to the cap pickup. If it's off, then the chain has likely jumped, and the cam is out of position.
If you have the Caspers sensor setting tool you can check signal vs timing at 25*.
If the chain has totally failed, the sensor won't move. @118K miles, I'd go ahead and replace it. when doing that, be sure to remove the pan and clean out the trash...:eek:
Remove a valve cover and see if the valves are opening.
As for the crank sensor, look to see if it's loose, the balancer ring is bent, and hitting the sensor, if it's unplugged.

If your mechanic is familiar w/ these cars, he will/should know how to verify his ideas..
Good luck w/ the project. [Not dumb, just not aware of the "money pit" U R supporting!:D]

You said it died as you drove it? How does it sound when cranking? If it sounds flat like the engine has no compression,or the comp. comes and goes, the cam gear has bit the dust. If it would not restart after attempts, possibly the cam sensor has failed.It's a little early for timing chain failure,if mileage is correct,but if oil changes weren't done, who knows? It sounds like a simple problem;good luck!

cam sensor

cam sensor was very loose and i will install it tomorrow.thanks for the help:biggrin:

cam sensor

cam sensor is fine so now im leaning towards crank sensor or a timimg chain