Car starts but stalls out in 3-5 seconds

Mikey Schaefer

My battery was dead... Put charger on it ... Car started right up but stalls out immediately. Replaced battery...still stalls out. Fuel pump seems to be working fine. Achieving 42 lbs pressure but pressure drops to 0 after stalling. I reset the anti-theft function. Did not fix problem. Could it be a relay problem? Did I fry a fuse trying to start with battery charger? It just seems to be an electrical issue? Help ... Please ! This is driving me crazy. '-(

did you change anything before the battery died ?whats your set up ? do you have a translator ?need to know alittle more about what your working with .

did you try putting the old chip back in just to elimitnate everything else out .

a lot of times when you lose power don't know what translator you have put they lose there settings .

no problem do the chip change first .make sure you clear the ecm buy disconnecting it at the battery first .after 30 seconds plug it back .

Is the oil psi bypass hooked up? Sounds like you are starting on what fp you get at key-on, then the pump quits. If the relay took a dump, and the oil bypass is inop, then you will have no power, once the key returns to run...
Jumper the fp test wire to the alt, and see if the pump runs.

My baby is stranded 75 miles away in a garage. I will try all your ideas when I get back there. Should be within a few weeks. I will get back to you. Thanks for the tips.

I found the problem ..... Bad ground at battery. Stripped neg cable bolt preventing good ground. Disconnected ground cable, replaced bolt, left cable disconnected for 48 hrs allowing resetting ecm and translator settings. Reconnected cable and problem solved. Car fired right up. What a headache, but its all good now. I hope this helps someone else with a similar problem. Thanks guys for all your suggestions.