Car sold now I'm gonna cry, maybe scream!

acoen

After being widdled down on price from 16.5k to 14.7k and delivering the beautiful machine to the buyer's best friends daughter's house not far from me for a few days prior shipment....Shipper picked up the car and just after the car arrived 1000 miles away at its new home, the new owner is complaining that the AC doesn't work and the car completely stopped running. How does this happen (between me dropping the car off and it being shipped and putting 20 miles on the car)? I drove the car 25 miles to his buddies daughters house AC blowing cold, actually turned it off and rolled down the windows, got a little chilly. The car ran great, spool up was good, smooth idle no problems at all, never had a problem with the car.....Always ran good and broke the tires loose in second with no efort at all.

Now the guy (new owner) complains that the car left him stranded while driving with his friend, claims no boost, then surging and popping, fuel smell then it stopped running all together. Oh and AC not working

As this is a small world I did know his buddies, daughter's husband (if you can follow that)....He was very interested in the car once I brought it by for storage prior to the shipper picking it up. I told him the car needed to be garaged and covered and not driven. The guy told me he wanted to leave it out uncovered because his friend wanted to see it. It took me a little bit to get him to put it into the garage, but he wouldn't cover it because after he returned from an errand. I asked him not to drive it, and I'm guessing he didn't drive it, but....I don't know.

I just cannot believe the guy would have problems with the car supposedly only driven 10 to 20 miles. (The guy swears I was the only one to drive it prior to shipment) Prior to shipment the car was perfect....Murphy's law or the guy that can destroy a brick just playing with it?

Sorry for the ramble!

I bought mine from a guy in New York, I'm in Missouri, said to run great, put less than 1000 miles on it and the engine blew..............during shipping, the truck driver told me some interesting stories about how he let people sit in it and rev the engine !!!!!!!!!!! I went ballistic on the guy and still wonder to this day about possible damage that could have been done.

I bought mine from a guy in New York, I'm in Missouri, said to run great, put less than 1000 miles on it and the engine blew..............during shipping, the truck driver told me some interesting stories about how he let people sit in it and rev the engine !!!!!!!!!!! I went ballistic on the guy and still wonder to this day about possible damage that could have been done.

I was in shock when the guy told me the AC didn't work.....Hell I just used it! Then he told me it left him somewhere, popped backfired and smelled of fuel.....After just a few miles of driving. I've never had a problem, but never really drove it hard either. Don't get me wrong, I would drive it and break the tires loose from time to time, but I wasn't one to run the car at its limits. Sometimes I wonder if the new owner or the people I delivered it to are being honest. I'm not a good liar....My car was clean and ran like a top....Can't figure this out. Now I have someone really pissed at me. All I can do is offer my help....The new owner is upset but not looking for anything....Yet...

Solution! DON't sell or buy cars thru the net unless you go get it or the buyer comes & gets it.

Ya know this sounds stupid but I see a lot of guys having cars shipped all over just because they think they are getting a perfect rust free car from some other location. The car arrives & it runs like crap, paint looks like crap, inside is crap. & they have to spend tons to fix it.
It happend with a friend who got a stang from cally. I swear the car was cobbled together for an ebay sale.

I bought my car 1 hour away. Sure it lived its life in CT & MA but I got to drive it & drive it home.

Sorry to hear, Aaron, but maybe if in the same and / or similar situation ever again, up close pictures of the speedo at point and time of drop off might be worthwhile consideration? Or a call to the new owner releasing yourself of any future issues? Hope that all works out for everybody.

I had a guy drive 20 hours from Texas, then try to low ball me on my last one.

I laughed and said I'll take the car home, I told you everything about it and what my bottom line price was (which was a steal).

He bought it, then cried about a bunch of simple little things a so called ASE mechanic should know.

I still don't think the car has been back into the 11s... and this car went 11.20s all day on low boost.

Ugh, I hate selling cars.

My car was clean and ran like a top....Can't figure this out. Now I have someone really pissed at me. All I can do is offer my help....The new owner is upset but not looking for anything....Yet...

Sold as is, its not your fault they got in it and put it to the wood, if something was up, you woulda spoke up and pointed it out, you hid nothing from him, he bought a 20 yr old car and just because he's doing netrual drops in it with the "she either goes or she blows" attitude does not make it your obligation to be his mechanic.

Tell him for an extra 3K that he wiggled out of, you can help troubleshoot over the phone

Next time he complains, point him to the forum and tell him to start reading, or else he can sell it quick and buy a monte ss with a 305HO:D

Yep you guys are right, I'm kicking myself over nothing. I feel bad for the car and the guy too. I thought for sure I would be getting a call....Damn that is one nice car....No just complaints. Seems to be the nature of things lately. Also I have never had to wheel and deal so much. I think the guy was showing off and screwed something up....The guy got one hellofva buy....Shouldn't complain a lick...

Thanks for the ear guys...

Solution! DON't sell or buy cars thru the net unless you go get it or the buyer comes & gets it.

Ya know this sounds stupid but I see a lot of guys having cars shipped all over just because they think they are getting a perfect rust free car from some other location. The car arrives & it runs like crap, paint looks like crap, inside is crap. & they have to spend tons to fix it.
It happend with a friend who got a stang from cally. I swear the car was cobbled together for an ebay sale.

I bought my car 1 hour away. Sure it lived its life in CT & MA but I got to drive it & drive it home.

No kidding here, this car was nice... I know you hear it a bunch but the darn thing was as nice as they come and couldn't really find one nicer for the money....But I too have heard horror stories. I sold a car to a co-worker once and never again. That car too was very nice....the thing dissentigrated in front of my eyes....Come to find out the girl it was purchased for was very hard on it. The car didn't last 6 months and it was totalled....

No kidding here, this car was nice... I know you hear it a bunch but the darn thing was as nice as they come and couldn't really find one nicer for the money....But I too have heard horror stories. I sold a car to a co-worker once and never again. That car too was very nice....the thing dissentigrated in front of my eyes....Come to find out the girl it was purchased for was very hard on it. The car didn't last 6 months and it was totalled....

Wow! Sorry to hear whats happening Aaron. Can't believe there was nobody this side who wanted it for that amount. I'm still happy with the car i got from you. Air conditioning and all still working.

I had a mint corvette and decided to sell. The new owner cried and complained same thing.

Moral of the story! Don't sell your car:)

After meeting the guy that was holding the car for the new owner I would have written down the exact milage and told the new owner to check it when he received the car.
Also I think its in the Sellers interest to lower the boost to a very safe level before handing the car over, even if it runs much slower, let the new owner raise it and dial it in.
When taking my cars to be inspected (mechanic takes it out for a test drive) I always turn down the boost,< 15lbs, so they can't screw it up.

Being on the other end of a bad transaction I can tell you its very dissapointing, but mine ran like crap right off the trailer and later found out by others i was dealing with a dishonest person, lesson learned:rolleyes:

The new owner was probably "testing" the limits of the car and probably blew off some hoses.

I hate selling any of my cars but I always ask that people come up and inspect and drive the car before purchase and I draft an "as-is" sale contract.

I'm sorry that you're having issue with this sale. Your reputation around here is sterling....

Good Luck my friend

Wow! Sorry to hear whats happening Aaron. Can't believe there was nobody this side who wanted it for that amount. I'm still happy with the car i got from you. Air conditioning and all still working.

Thanks Paul....Again I don't get it. I trust everyone at their word. I was thinking as I was driving the car for the last time....Damn this sure is a nice car.....rides and handle so nice and on the old rubber. I think the guy was showing off for his friend and messed something up.....This guy is in is mid 60s think he would have known better ("owned 100s of cars"...his words). The more I think about our conversations the more I think he did something. I was really trying to help him, asking him "Did the check engine light come on?" "Did you check the MAF?" He said no boost......Then it started popping and backfiring and smelling rich?" I think he knows what he did....I sure don't....

The new owner was probably "testing" the limits of the car and probably blew off some hoses.

I hate selling any of my cars but I always ask that people come up and inspect and drive the car before purchase and I draft an "as-is" sale contract.

I'm sorry that you're having issue with this sale. Your reputation around here is sterling....

Good Luck my friend

Thanks for the good word....Blown off hoses, that is my guess.......He could have blown off a hose, backfired and fouled the plugs.....This car was factory stock down to the exhaust tips...I think it is something simple. As for the AC, who knows....blew cold on my last 25 mile drive....I'm done selling for a while. I have made everyone happy, but my personal jewel of a car gets an unhappy new owner....CRAP!

After meeting the guy that was holding the car for the new owner I would have written down the exact milage and told the new owner to check it when he received the car.
Also I think its in the Sellers interest to lower the boost to a very safe level before handing the car over, even if it runs much slower, let the new owner raise it and dial it in.
When taking my cars to be inspected (mechanic takes it out for a test drive) I always turn down the boost,< 15lbs, so they can't screw it up.

Being on the other end of a bad transaction I can tell you its very dissapointing, but mine ran like crap right off the trailer and later found out by others i was dealing with a dishonest person, lesson learned:rolleyes:

I have been on both sides too, that is why I try my best to impress. I spend an afternoon waxing and polishing the car prior to delivery, to make sure the car looked it's absolute best....You know I was going to write down the exact mileage, but forgot at the last minute....As for the boost, it had a stock non-adjustable actuator rod. I think the blowing off boost hoses is getting close to the problem.....A good backfire from that can destroy a number of things.....Coil, MAF....etc.

For 14.7, that could have been my car, but for the price reduction, it doesn't take much to get it back to where you had it...

Damn 14,700... and I had cash... I bought my GN to restore or gnx clone it, but I can't sell after I buy things, pack rat, but I just don't buy and sell...

Thi si why I refuse to sell my GN, listening to this story or wished I woulda coulda shoulda, life changes, like a new dog, you can always get another and sometimes it is best to get another right away...

BTW, don't scream like a girl, use your manly voice...
if ever in Wisconsin, come over, I have 87 GN hard top for you to drive, my t-top is only for me or my copilot if I am drinking...

when there are problems, somtimes you can't fix them until they break...

yeah its the hoses, not being tight or whatever it is an old car that needs love and money, and the Buick loves the money, cash is king

B

For 14.7, that could have been my car, but for the price reduction, it doesn't take much to get it back to where you had it...

Damn 14,700... and I had cash... I bought my GN to restore or gnx clone it, but I can't sell after I buy things, pack rat, but I just don't buy and sell...

Thi si why I refuse to sell my GN, listening to this story or wished I woulda coulda shoulda, life changes, like a new dog, you can always get another and sometimes it is best to get another right away...

BTW, don't scream like a girl, use your manly voice...
if ever in Wisconsin, come over, I have 87 GN hard top for you to drive, my t-top is only for me or my copilot if I am drinking...

when there are problems, somtimes you can't fix them until they break...

yeah its the hoses, not being tight or whatever it is an old car that needs love and money, and the Buick loves the money, cash is king

B

Thanks Brett.....Hey I don't know if you know who I am.....I'm the guy with the very first Black Diamond Award 1987.....Man that was a proud day once I heard I was the first. You know I thought about contacting you guys but I figured you already had some nice rides....

I buy and sell, I never get attached to anything like that....I only have a couple of things I cannot part with. My grandfather's old .22 rifle he gave me when i was a little boy and the 1969 BSA Lightning my uncle gave me...Couple of other rifles that were passed down....That said I will always be a Buick guy....I will have another some day. To be honest If I were looking for a car and mine popped up for 16k-18k i would have been all over it....She was also on the registry....Good talking to you again.

Aaron

If I was to guess at this scenario, I would guess that the guy that held the car test drove it rather vigorously, and hopefully it's not a head gasket, which it almost sounds like.

Why did you sell your GN Acoen? Did you need the money or just tired of it?