Car slowed down w/alky..HELP!

87NAT

In Between GN's
New track times are 12.3@106 with 24 #'s boost no knock. I ran 12.1 at 19#'s last year on race gas.. I did take my FMIC off and put a bone stock intercooler on since last track visit because I would overheat down here in Louisiana in the summer. Did I screw up? I have a 60 series turbo and ported heads with a free flowing exhaust...am I killing the car that bad with the stock IC? With my mods I should be making ALOT more mph shouldn't I? My car sat for 5 years in storage before I bought it, do you think the valve springs are shot and if so would that make a big difference? Please put your 2 cents in a give me some advice.

Ed,
If you took off a front mount, that is the problem!:)
The alky would have nothing to do with this.

Brian

Hey Brian...tranny is still ripping second and third gear!

I dont believe the alky is the problem but I wanted to post in here to get as much feedback on combos from alky users as I can since that is what I am running now. Maybe I am doing something wrong because I am way off the mark. I mentioned the alky because that is one of the two changes I made since last at the track...The other being the IC swap.

A few numbers on scanmaster: 02's @ 810,no knock, 23 degress timing in 1/2 gear, 22.4 degrees in 3/4 60 ft. 1.86, 1/8 mile time 7.87@88 mph

Waiting for Razor to post...

The stock intercooler is restrictive, you probably have a lot more backpressure in the headers than you did with the front mount. (I would think).

24#s with the stock intercooler would probably be 26 with the front mount because it flows so much better.

Hey Brian...tranny is still ripping second and third gear!

I dont believe the alky is the problem but I wanted to post in here to get as much feedback on combos from alky users as I can since that is what I am running now. Maybe I am doing something wrong because I am way off the mark. I mentioned the alky because that is one of the two changes I made since last at the track...The other being the IC swap.

A few numbers on scanmaster: 02's @ 810,no knock, 23 degress timing in 1/2 gear, 22.4 degrees in 3/4 60 ft. 1.86, 1/8 mile time 7.87@88 mph

Waiting for Razor to post...

yeah alky is the problem , lots of us going much much slower with alky :) ..seriously though

the stock ic is more restrictive compared to a frontmount but really not the bolltleneck where you are ight now as ive seen te44 do 11.5 on stock ic no dutt with alky
your combo was never even close to where it should have been and the 106 mph is poor for the combo , heck a stock turbo can do what you are doing , i would look elsewere

read the sticky at top of forum and start back at the beginning , get it running right ... tune tune tune ,

posts prev slips and current slips so we can see a better picture , the more data you can get to us the better

your pickup of 18 is poor and could be going rich at the top (i say rich since you say o2s were 810 not 740) , have you tried running with the alky backed down a little at a time until you see some knock

It is the front mount. I went to alky with a stock unit and then switched to a Dutt neck..... +4psi and .3 in the 1/4. Sold the Dutt neck and back to -.2 in the 1/4 cranking the boost back up.

Now, you could be running too rich and flooding the motor with alky, but you should know what the 02's or EGT's are.

Also, your short times would have to be consistant to compare times too. All kinds of variables, but I know it is from you not having your front mount IC.

C'mon guys dont rag me about the alky...I know thats not the problem but I need as many people to read this and throw me some input because I am at a loss as to why my combo is not putting up good numbers.

Hell...my first t-type back in 1993 went 12.2@109 with ta-49 turbo, stock IC, on pump gas! :eek:

Why do u think I wanted to put a for sale sign on my car when I left the track this morning?:confused:

............... A few numbers on scanmaster: 02's @ 810,no knock, 23 degress timing in 1/2 gear, 22.4 degrees in 3/4 60 ft. 1.86, 1/8 mile time 7.87@88 mph .........

I am no expert, but it looks like you are running rich, which in turn, can slow you down.

One other thing...I'm WELL into fourth gear when I go thru the traps. Should I be at the top of third?

Also, do you have an eric marshall alky chip?

Alky and those chips go hand in hand. I ran 11.34 with stock longblock and ta49 turbo.

I always ran the pump on max(single nozzle),adjusted fuel pressure down till o2's were 750-760's and Bl's were at 140-145. Other's may say bl's are high( I had lots of people say that) but they never ran the times I did. So, that is one tune you can try singing, but be careful,not all cars are the same.

you shouldnt need 4th unless you have some tall gears in the rear axle

with 3.42 gears on a 26" tire you should be able to carry 115+ in third, more on a 28" tire

I think it's in the tune.

Yes, the stock intercooler is a bottle neck, unless you have the Dutt neck on it.

I bet that is good for 2MPH.

What are your O2's at the top of third? Should be 760-780.

What's your timing, O2's, EGT's, etc?

How many miles on the motor/valve springs? I picked up 2MPH with new springs on a stock 106k mile motor.

The 106MPH is a little shy on the 12.30 pass. Converter slipping, locking the converter during the pass, rich on the top end, are a couple of things you could look at.

If the motor is healthy, it might just be in the tune. Play with timing, boost and alky.

I picked up 2 MPH by dropping my timing from 22 to 19 in 3rd. That is with a Eric Marshall chip.

I do have a TT chip.

The FMIC is gone...so its not going back in.

After driving the car for 2 months when I first bought it I put a new radiator and 2 fans and my temps still got way up there.(215 plus) My thinking at the time was that I'm not 19 anymore cruising in my hot rod with the windows down and no A/C. I wanted my car to run cool at any temperature, even the high extremes we get down here in Louisiana when you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I was willing to accept a little drop in performance AT THAT TIME(last year) by putting the stock IC back in. I am just wondering if the stock IC is a big enough bottleneck to kill my MPH?

If that ends up being my problem I will be the first to post that I was stupid to take out my FMIC.

160 degree thermo?
Red line Water Wetter and straight water cooled my temps down from 200+to 170 in FLA heat.

Ive got a 160 thermostat...and the point is moot now that the FMIC is gone. I am going to order a Mease or PTE stretch real soon and see if thats my problem.

I know I am maybe jumping to conclusions and the car just isnt tuned right.:( I can only go to the track maybe 1 or 2 times a year with my business and wife and kids, etc... so I guess I am upset that I couldnt tune it today. But even so, can I tune in an extra 5, 6 or 7 plus MPH?

i would expect no less than 11.2 from the combo you have at 119-121

but this takes tuning and a good running healthy motor to start with

Just read RAZORS sticky again...I think I was messing up by adding a bunch of fuel in Eric's chip(+10% WOT all gears) AND increasing my alky even though I had 0 knock. Maybe the motor was way too fat on the top end. I have read that sticky on tuning the alky kit a hundred times but I guess when I was at the track my mind went blank.:eek:

I know I am maybe jumping to conclusions and the car just isnt tuned right.:(

You want majic. Guess what.. rabbit's dead. If you want a fast car.. you either

A.. take it somewhere that can tune the car and pay them.
B.. Dedicate the time the car needs to get sorted out.

If you cant do any of the above.. then your results will vary. Guess this time you didnt get lucky. None of us really do on a consistant basis. What one car runs and what another one does.,.. apples to oranges.

All the above posts are correct in some way. I dont think you need a FM to run low 12's. A bazzillion of us have gone way way way faster on less junk.. but the key is working at figuring the car out.

You think I woke up one day and the car majically ran 10.5 in the 1/4? No.. it takes work.. lots of it.

Make the time, enjoy the car. It will run what it runs.. no majic fairy dust front mount will ever make your car fast.

Just read RAZORS sticky again...I think I was messing up by adding a bunch of fuel in Eric's chip(+10% WOT all gears) AND increasing my alky even though I had 0 knock. Maybe the motor was way too fat on the top end. I have read that sticky on tuning the alky kit a hundred times but I guess when I was at the track my mind went blank.:eek:

Attaboy ;)