car shifting at 4,000 rpm instead of 5,000 How do I fix it?

buickrob

My GN is shifting at 4,000 rpm instead of 5,000 like it is supposed to (so I've heard). If I hold it manually to 5,000 it is much faster. How can I adjust the trans to shift at 5,000 instead of 4,000? Thanks

I thought that only adjusted harshness of shift? when shifted manually, the car shifts instantly and very nice!

The bracket that the TV cable goes to on top of the engine near the plenum was loose on my car. It was shifting into second and third, way too early. I tightend up the bracket and about ripped the rear end out from under the car when it shifted right around 5200 rpm on the next run. My car is a high milage car, so when I went to adjust the TV cable it doesn't ratchet back to "stock". Right now I have it set fairly soft, and it also shifts a little early. Take a look and see. Its a 1 minute type mod that is easy to take back to the way it was if it doesn't help.

shifty subject

Hey Buickrob,
I agree with others that TV adjustment is needed. Too low TV and stacked shifts can hurt a TV modulated trans. Oh for the days of the good old vacuum modulated units! Anyway, i run a turbo 700 in my 87 GN so Ive had to do alot of xperimenting. One of the tricks I use to alter shift points is using a 2 dollar part that is basically a spring which is put ahead of the TV cable. It just pulls more TV at initial throttle and the spring gives to allow full WOT. It had to be used on my 700 due to its tendancy to hit 3rd too soon. The part is by Sonnax#as1-o1k. I hope it still is available. Good luck.