car runs but no power

soundguy

I'm really missing driving the car and back to trying to solve a problem hopefully saving a rebuild cost. Last year I overboosted it to 24psi on 93 oct for few seconds when I heard the telltale ping. Tore top end apart thinking headgaskets. Nope. They were fine. The car will run, but lacks power. It'll boost up a bit once going down road bit, but takes some time to build up. Nothing from a dead stop. If you even try to power brake it, the RPM's go to around 1500 and sit there. They wont drop, but dont continue any higher. When I had the engine apart and the oil drained, there were no visible signs of any damage to the bottom end and no tell tale brass particles floating in the oil. Even replaced the torque converter to no help.
Does anyone have any idea what may be going on.

I MISS MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hows the turbo does it spin nice? I had that problem and it was a head gasket, only under boost would water enter into the motor.

Some ideas:
Puck on elbow not sealing properly
Hole in inner-cooler
Split IC hoses
Exhaust leaks
Problem with converter

even without the turbo, shouldnt the engine still produce enough power to get over 1500 rpm power braking?

I was thinking more of not having boost than the low RPMs.
I would do a compression test. Sould be around 145 -150 psi .

pull the cat and check that. Mine used to do the same thing and when I removed it I discovered that it was in pieces- looked and sounded fine before removal. Car came to life right away!

You mentioned you changed the torque converter.
Was this with another stocker or a smaller sized aftermarket converter? If a stocker, you might have gotten one that only stalls to 1500 and might not be a true D5.
I agree with what the others here said to check. What turbo are you running now? And what's the specs on the converter?
When all else fails, go back and think step by step what you've changed. With you saying you changed the converter, that would be the first thing I would suspect. Then I would look into the turbo or clogged cat con. But with what you are describing, leads me to believe either something is wrong with the converter, or it is locked and is bogging the motor down. I have seen where a malfunctioning TCC switch would cause a car to start but immediately shut down when put into gear. But power braking and rpms stopping at 1500 sounds tranny related to me, especially if everything else motor related is ok. When you tore it down, is there a possibility of the timing chain not being properly set? Could it be severely retarding timing? Tell us more about what you changed and or tore apart and the combo.
Just some thoughts.

Patrick

car was running fine previously. Problem started with overboosting it and it pinged. Started by tearing top end apart and replacing head gaskets. Found originals still intact. Replaced anyway with RJC's bullet proofs. Removed oil pan and checked underneath. No signs of any damage or wear. No brass particles in oil.
The converter was originally stock, replaced it with a red stripe thinking same thing that maybe the jolts from the detonations screwed up the original one. Had a friend that use to be a GM mechanic with me doing it, and he looked the tranny over while it was out of car. The TCC switch seemed fine.
The cat is hollowed out (from few owners back, was built for owner of sports car connections down here to race). The turbo is a TA-49.

Some ideas:
Puck on elbow not sealing properly
Hole in inner-cooler
Split IC hoses
Exhaust leaks
Problem with converter

I'd buy hole in the converter.... or intercooler hose

You should be able to carry the intercooler by a radiator shop and have it pressure tested.... should hold at least 30 psi....

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHERE THE CAR WOULD ONLY GO TO 15 LBS AND LIKE 4300 rpm AND STOP. It was a intercooler hose. Ck the hoses and then ck them again..