Car review: '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT

Welby

My wife and I met up with our old neighbors for wings last night, and Staci (ex. neighbor) bought an '05 Legacy GT turbo. Her husband John took me for a ride in it, and.... holy sh*t that car's quick. 250 horsepower and 250 lbs of torque. My Limited would probably keep up in a straight line, but as far as cornering, that car handled like it was on rails. Maybe his maniacal driving warped my perspective, but that Subaru felt like a rocketship, lol.

I told John that I bought an '87 turbo Buick and he commented that he read along time ago that "they go like speeding bullets, and handle like them too"... Cracked me up, 'cause he's right. Turbo Buicks are one trick ponies, pretty much. He should know about handling, he's co-owner of a race team

http://www.andersenwalko.com/frames.shtml?FILE=history.htm

Must be a fun job, I'm sure it beats sitting at a desk, being a CAD whore, like me
:(

I drove one of the auto wagons and it was fun. The turbo comes on really smooth and the car is quiet inside. They have come a long way. The facelift they gave the car is also pretty decent. If I wasn't upside down on my A6 wagon I'd probably switch off to the Legacy even though it is a little smaller.

It uses the same block as the STi but I think the bolt on setup is different to lessen the power (different turbo etc). With a few swaps and some reprogramming I'm sure you could make 300/300 out of the car.

I didn't get a chance to drive the manual, is that what your friend has?

Yeah, it was a stick. I didn't get a chance to drive it, but I was really impressed with it. If I could afford a new car I'd definitely look one over real well. Around here, the AWD alone would make it worthwhile, lol.

Originally posted by Welby
Yeah, it was a stick. I didn't get a chance to drive it, but I was really impressed with it. If I could afford a new car I'd definitely look one over real well. Around here, the AWD alone would make it worthwhile, lol.

Yeah AWD is why I got the Audi (damned snow) and the fact that I didn't really like the look of the old Legacy and their old engine choices were kinda meh. Now with the turbo 2.5 and the facelift I'm liking it a lot more.

I never drove one but did some reading up on them as a daily driver. Low 14 sec 1/4 stock, 250 horse. Sounds like a new GN back in the day.

Since they are new for 05 I was going to give them a year or so to get some used ones on the market before I buy so someone else can take the depreciation hit.

Looks like a great car if you don't hate foreign...

The whole thing with those is the amazingly low center of gravity due to the flat 4. I used to know a guy that'd have his friends in the car and ask "have you ever driven in a Subaru before?" and when they'd say "no" he'd proceed to scare the hell outa them driving sideways on near vertical hills and crap like that!