Car isn't mph'ing like it should.. Advice? Bison lol?

How's your fuel pressure ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Have you put a little oil in the bores and see if it comes up? Easy way to see if its the rings.

Sent from my LG-C800 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I tested the number 1 cylinder again last night. Strangly, cold it went to 135 with no oil and with oil (may be too much?) it shot to 210.....

Try letting it go into od and see if some of the mph comes back

I will try that, I don't think it will though as Im pushing through the traps at 52-5300 and it won't shift into OD until around 5500 or so.

Are there any thoughts on the compression test? I rechecked the no 1 cylinder last night, engine cold (60 outside) and it was 130. I out a little oil in the cylinder and saw 200 on the gauge..... That seems extreme.

I've had engines that had compression variances like yours, 30% leakage, etc and it doesn't matter. Fixing them fixed those issues but the power was the same

Okay your base fuel pressure is good have you verified that it raises 1 for 1 and it is steady at all boost levels ?

more than 50 percent is it pushing oil into the breathers
if he looking for mph i would verify timing

do a leak down test rings are gone

I do plan on doing a leak down but don't have access to a good enough compressor at the moment.

I've had engines that had compression variances like yours, 30% leakage, etc and it doesn't matter. Fixing them fixed those issues but the power was the same

Well thats good enough news. The car doesn't smoke down the track or on the street after a pull but there is some smoke out of the drivers side breather after a quick Tbrake to 5 psi.

Okay your base fuel pressure is good have you verified that it raises 1 for 1 and it is steady at all boost levels ?

Yes it raises with boost just fine. The air/fuel tracks to the WB sensor and the injector duty cycle is right in line with older power logger runs showing there is not a lack of fuel issue.

What is more than 50 % ? My math is showing around 23% from my best outlier cylinder to the worst. I may recheck them again and crank for a bit longer since it should stop at the peak no matter how many cranks.

how about a running compression test if you don't have a leak down tester

Im not sure how to conduct a running compression test? Do you run it on 5 cylinders with a gauge in the dead hole?

Ve

Verifying timing... Are we talking verifying top dead center and unplugging the est wire and using a timing light? The engine nor chain have been apart since it's been in and gone 128 mph. Other than a small amount of timing chain slack, what am I looking for? I have heard of the steel ring coming loose on the balancer but just curious what you are getting at with the timing.

I know I'm whoring up my own thread but I was wondering what some thought of my converter efficiency? It's always been 14-15% and it has been restalled a couple of times for different setups. Should I send it out and have it looked at? I don't know if the car would benefit from dropping the efficiency to the 5% range since that may drop it out of its powerband through the traps. I have neglected the car track wise for a couple of years and was always just assuming it was running as well as it always had. Now that I realize it's not it's bothering me a lot haha.

IMO it's worth it to get the converter nailed down. Also worth it to pull and verify a couple valve springs.

Last edited:
IMO it's worth it to get the converter nailed down. Also worth it to pull and verify a couple valve springs.

Thanks bison, the valve springs are brand new k750s that David husek verified before he sent them out. They were installed at 1.65 which I believe were around 140 closed and 400 open. I will contact Dusty about dialing in the converter.

Last edited by a moderator: