Car is off- starter is cranking...?

DCEPTCN

Smasher-Devourer
Since my recent rebuild, I have had a problem with the engine stumbling/dieseling for a few seconds after I turn off the ignition. I have figured this to be a wiring mistake of the mechanic, but hadn't gotten around to trying to fix it yet. Well, with the addition of a new stereo system it became painfully obvious that my alternator was getting ready to crap the bed. So, last night I put in a new alternator.......but this has had a worsening effect on my engine shutoff issue. Now, when I turn the car off, the starter starts cranking and will not stop until I disconnect the battery. WTF?! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
It's possessed? :confused:

Starter solenoid may be shorted out.
I've always said 'Haunted', but yes- this car is posessed.

So the solenoid could be causing it to keep running after having been shutoff? Thanks.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Possible short in ignition switch (not key switch) down on the column. Would need replacement. :confused:
Hmmm. I often need to turn the collar on the column to get the key out.....maybe related?

Well, sounds like you shorted something. You're going to have to either find it or start changing stuff out. Hey.......buy one of those $99 mini starters. Even if it's not the problem, it's a good upgrade. Grab one of those ignition switches at any u-pull-it yard off any G body car. Check your wiring going down to the starter.

Maybe someone else will offer some more possible problems. ;)

this happend to me when we did our rebuild my nephew ended up putting the wire from the alternater on the starter and the one from starter to alternater switched the two wires and shorted my starter. i dont let him help any more with my cars. Good luck hope you find the problem. FrankC

I figure this to be a single wire type of problem.....if only somebody knew which one.....?

Ihad a problem with that a few months ago with a mini-starter. Unlike the stock starter, the batt cable can rotate far enough on those mini starters to short out and run the starter. Did you check to see that your cable hasn't rotated far enough for the tab to touch the other terminal?

Originally posted by Mac in SD
Ihad a problem with that a few months ago with a mini-starter. Unlike the stock starter, the batt cable can rotate far enough on those mini starters to short out and run the starter. Did you check to see that your cable hasn't rotated far enough for the tab to touch the other terminal?
I'll check that out. Thank you.

cranks always

Hi,
I think it is time to invest in a shop manual. I'm not talking about a Chilton's, but a real manual, with factory specific diagrams which will tell you connector locations, etc.You can get this info online at Alldata.com . The price is about $26. A hell of a lot cheaper than they charge me for unlimited service at my shop every month... Outside of that,starter may be locked, could be engaged all the time.If the solenoid is shorted, it would be a rare one... Good luck!
Dale

Well, in the event that it is something with my starter solenoid, I've ordered a ministarter. If that doesn't fix the problem, I've upgraded a part and eliminated a possibility.

There is a purple wire that comes from thre ign switch to park saftey switch and runs down to the "S" terminal on the starter this wire should only have power when the key is in the crank posistion. If it has power all the time its going to keep cranking even with key off.. if it has power with key off and its the purple wire then you have a short to power somewhere. Start tracing that wire.

Originally posted by GN/GTO
There is a purple wire that comes from thre ign switch to park saftey switch and runs down to the "S" terminal on the starter this wire should only have power when the key is in the crank posistion. If it has power all the time its going to keep cranking even with key off.. if it has power with key off and its the purple wire then you have a short to power somewhere. Start tracing that wire.
I'm gonna check that out...thanks!