Car is getting SOLD if I can't figure this out, and maybe sold when I do....

BlackMagic

Here's the problem.

It's an 87 GN, and I don't drive it much. The battery went dead on me. After jump starting it, I started it and went for a drive.

When I get on the gas and get any kind of load on the engine, my knock sensor goes crazy and the car has no power. I can't even get into boost at all. The car starts and idles fine, and you can drive it down the road fine as long as you don't mash on the gas. I have ohmed the coil packs and checked the plugs.

Where should I start? I've been so busy playing with my Ford Lightning the car has been sitting in my garage with this issue for a couple of months, and I haven't been motivated to figure it out until now.

try with a fully charged battery , and try to monitor your voltage

you need good voltage (14v) to run the fuel pump under boost and to fire the coils . the voltage may be down either because of huge drain charging a dead battery or a bad alternator (reason for bad battery) , running under any load (or boost ) at under 14v isnt going to be pleasant

Originally posted by pacecarta
try with a fully charged battery , and try to monitor your voltage

you need good voltage (14v) to run the fuel pump under boost and to fire the coils . the voltage may be down either because of huge drain charging a dead battery or a bad alternator (reason for bad battery) , running under any load (or boost ) at under 14v isnt going to be pleasant

That almost sounds too simple to be the problem, so maybe it is! :) That will be an easy check.

check the mas air flow. and if you have a transulator see that the rev limiter is off

Originally posted by ronbuick
Knock sensor or knock gauge goes crazy??

Ron

I guess I should have said my Knock Gauge goes crazy, both my visual Caspers gauge and my Caspers audible knock warning as well.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming!

Have you checked your torque converter bolts lately? I had the same problem and it went away after I tightened up my torque converter. If that dosen't work, change out the mass air flow for ****s and giggles.

check your TPS and make sure the voltage is not dropping off as you increase your throttle pressure under load.

Ron

How old is the gas? You said you don't drive it much. I you got crap gas and go to boost it you'll get stupid knock. How about draining the gas and getting some GT100. At least then you could rule fuel out.

Originally posted by BlackMagic
Here's the problem.

It's an 87 GN, and I don't drive it much. The battery went dead on me. After jump starting it, I started it and went for a drive.

When I get on the gas and get any kind of load on the engine, my knock sensor goes crazy and the car has no power. I can't even get into boost at all. The car starts and idles fine, and you can drive it down the road fine as long as you don't mash on the gas. I have ohmed the coil packs and checked the plugs.

Where should I start? I've been so busy playing with my Ford Lightning the car has been sitting in my garage with this issue for a couple of months, and I haven't been motivated to figure it out until now.
Check your fuel pressure and boost levels with a gauge to discover if there is a problem in those areas. Check your wastegate hoses to be sure they are not cracked open or slipped off the solenoid, giving you high boost.

Re: Re: Car is getting SOLD if I can't figure this out, and maybe sold when I do....

Check/replace the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. Sounds like either it or the MAF need replacing.

ive had the same problem with my buick and my mitsu. you siad you checked coil pack and plugs but what about wires this was my problem in both casses but i never had a knock guage but car went no where, no boost at all and hesitated or wouldnt rev up other wise for normal driving the cars were fine?

ALWAYS suspect ignition trouble at first, as 90% of misfires are so related.If at first you don't suceed, look again! These cars BADLY NEED good ignition, no, I'm sorry, GREAT ignition. Find out why the situation is so screwed up, and correct it!

I had a similar problem.Ended up being a broken Cam shaft position sensor.A pin broke on the reluctor wheel and would shift the position of the sensor.Took awhile to find it.