Car is burning oil randomly

Onalky87

Motor is fresh. Cutout open and it still only smokes out of the tail pipe. Will not smoke blue from out the cutout. Is it possible that when it blew up before oil got into muffler and is now slowly burning out?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Anything is possible with these cars. That does sound like a viable conclusion.

One of mine did that years ago - replaced the muffler with a bullet and it stopped.

Also, fwiw, that same fresh motor seemed to take awhile to "seal" in that I think it was smoking for real for the first few hundred miles (a long time on a car you barely drive). Had the Ts1 ring set...

I was only able to put 10 miles on it today but it wasn't smoking as bad with muffler off. Makes zero sense but whatever.

Is it bad for me to just run open dp and have no exhaust after the ypipe where cutout is?

I was only able to put 10 miles on it today but it wasn't smoking as bad with muffler off. Makes zero sense but whatever.

Is it bad for me to just run open dp and have no exhaust after the ypipe where cutout is?

Subject to citation but it won't hurt the car any. I doubt it's a real solution to your problem though; you still don't know where the smoke/oil was or is coming from.

Is the engine using oil? Better hit the rings with boost before its too late.

Its burning oil. The reason you dont see it from the cut out is the exhaust is still hot. By the time it reaches the mufflers and tail pies, the exhaust has cooled and slowed down quite a bit:confused::mad:

Its burning oil. The reason you dont see it from the cut out is the exhaust is still hot. By the time it reaches the mufflers and tail pies, the exhaust has cooled and slowed down quite a bit:confused::mad:

^^^^^What he said; and condensed...

Time for a compression test to see whats up.Ive had a few engines on a engine dyno modern rings seals within a minute on most

Yup still smokes haha. I did a compression check and everything checked out. So it's either the bearings in turbo or the fact I don't have a PVC hooked up lol

Drop DP, start it up and see if the exhaust side of turbo leaks oil. Wait for engine to hit operating temp and rev.

I would think you would definitely want to vent the crankcase pressure before it creates its own vent My guess is valve guides or valve seals

Is the engine using oil? Better hit the rings with boost before its too late.
They were hit with plenty of boost not long after break in. If the rings were that wasted the engine would have a quart of oil blowing out of the breathers every pass. Rings (particularly second compression) have to be totally wasted to cause a smoking issue. The rings were file fitted and the bores were clean and correctly finished for the rings. It only takes a little oil to make a lot of smoke.

brand new motor in mine was doing the exact same thing..had 5 miles on it at most and had blue smoke out the tail pipe with the cut out open and closed. the more i drive it the better it gets. i think the rings needed to seat. i probably have 25-30 miles on it now and most of those were today. i don't think its even doing it anymore

A pcv valve for the intake manifold is $3 ill try that and if that's not it I'm gunna have to send me turbo to bison for a rebuilt