Car hiccups while under higher boost?

opzWE4

I've had this problem that I can't figure out. While running anything over say 17 or so # of boost I get some little hiccups during my test run. Right now I can barely feel them, but they definately show up on Direct Scan. Usually around 46-4800 rpms I get one frame where the LV8 drops down to 30 and the inj drops down to 17 or so and then the next frame everything is fine again, until a little later in the run and it does it again. That's what I'm feeling I'm sure. But why is it doing this? I have BRAND new coil, new plugs gapped .032, new kirbans wires, almost new Tomco maf. My fuel pressure is 58-59psi and steady, with 19# of boost, and I have a red's xp fuel pump, with new fuel filter.

I'm wanting to go to the track tonight to do some tuning, but not if this is going to destroy something:mad: I don't want to turn up the boost any more until I get this lined out.

This was with a mix of 93 and 110 octane, with near zero knock, although I don't have room to make runs where I get very far into 3rd before I have to shut down.

Any help?

I've tried two different ign modules and no change, and I added a new coil pack even though the old one seemed ok, and still no change. I guess it could be the maf, but it only has about 700 miles on it. Any way to check it? It passes the tap test.

Also, if you run an extender chip, do you have to go with a Translator and larger maf?

Originally posted by opzWE4
Also, if you run an extender chip, do you have to go with a Translator and larger maf?

Yes...the LV8 drop and the injector drop are indicative of a MAF overload problem. I chased this problem for about 2 years before I had a fix. There are some other chip burner's that I think have eliminated the problem but I'm not sure who they are.

Good luck,
Kev :)

Thanks kevans, I guess I'll check into buying that setup, although I didn't want to spend that kind of money right now. I'm running reds chips right now btw.

opzWE4,

I'm having the same problem. I just installed a TE-61, FMIC, and 3200 9/11 converter when this started. I never had this problem with my TA-49 and stock location IC. Not sure if has anything todo with the upgrade but there is increase in airflow, so I would assume so.

I'm currently running a 16 position ME with 50lb injectors. Is the extender chip the only fix?

Thanks for any help,

I read somewhere that some chip tuners can tune around this, so I might start checking around. I'm running Reds chips right now.