Car going lean detonating not pulling timing

Joe Whitney

I believe I have a couple issues....... Car goes lean under even light boost condition, have checked for air leaks and have no issues. Has a new deatschwerks dw300 pump, hotwire kit and billet adjustable regulator fuel pressure goes up on a one to one scale, base pressure is set at 45 psi. I have noticed while driving and starting to roll into the throttle that the AF numbers never go above 45-50 it is my understanding that I should double that number with the translator and LT1 MAF. Also noticed that the car idles a little rough. O2 sensor readings tend to fluctuate very slowly, planning on replace O2 sensor just for good measure. Just trying to avoid replacing a bunch of parts. Also as I said in the title shows no timing being pulled on scan master. Have n innovate motorsports wideband and gauge on the car when first lightly accelerating it will go 12.5 or so to one but as soon as boost hits goes to 13-14 range.Have a scan master and can post all numbers just looking for some help here. I can work wonders on OBD2 cars with EFI Live but this old school stuff baffles me a little. Thanks in advance for any assistance.......

How old are the injectors?
Chip burned for the injectors you are using?
Other mods to the car? Why did you choose the dw300 over a dw200?(just curious)

Those Innovate LC1 widebands are known to be crap. I had my share with one and bout threw it in the trash. If it was me, i would get a new 02 and read those numbers to verify lean condition.
I also had a bad fuel pressure reg. show 10psi less than actual, so I would verify that too with anther gauge.

If your MAF values are never going over 50 Id start by looking there. Check all the dip switched on the translator. Are there any malfunction codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not know on the injectors were in the car when I bought it just bought it in November, chip is for 42lb injectors, other mods are listed in sig. DW300 will be plenty for no matter what I choose to throw at the car.

Well pretty sure is going lean, inspected plugs and are burning white plus the whole detonation thing, Run an Innovate in my Turbo LS car for years with no issues. Fuel pressure was tested with a brand new Snap On fuel pressure tester/gauge taped to the windshield. Definitely going to replace O2 sensor as they are cheap enough and know one wire sensors like to fowl out.

If your MAF values are never going over 50 Id start by looking there. Check all the dip switched on the translator. Are there any malfunction codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fault codes, dip switches are set at on on off off for the extender chip. Set the knobs according to Turbotweak website for the MAF is a 3.5" LT1. Is it correct that with the translator that I need to double the display number on the scanmaster for actual reading?

Lt1 3" Ls1 3.5" Z06 4" for MAF. Couple of questions since it mostly always ends up on the silly side. You set the fuel pressure with the vac line off correct? 100% sure its an extender chip? What is the base knob and WOT knob on the translator set to? Your BLM's on your scanmaster should be around 128. We can identify your inj if you post a pic. Try cleaning the MAF sensor to see if it changes at all. You should see at least 255 (higher with extender chip) on AF on the scanmaster at WOT and 15-18lbs of boost but I would not make a run with high knock. Eliminate the stupid stuff first before you throw money at it.

And I forgot to mention find a TR buddy close to you that you can swap parts out with to help narrow down problems. It will save you some bucks that you can spend on go fast goodies ;).

Yes, double the a/f number with a extender chip. That said, it still seems low.

Though some people had bad luck with them, Lc/1 wide bands can work just fine.

I would try a different MAF.

Lt1 3" Ls1 3.5" Z06 4" for MAF. Couple of questions since it mostly always ends up on the silly side. You set the fuel pressure with the vac line off correct? 100% sure its an extender chip? What is the base knob and WOT knob on the translator set to? Your BLM's on your scanmaster should be around 128. We can identify your inj if you post a pic. Try cleaning the MAF sensor to see if it changes at all. You should see at least 255 (higher with extender chip) on AF on the scanmaster at WOT and 15-18lbs of boost but I would not make a run with high knock. Eliminate the stupid stuff first before you throw money at it.

Yes base pressure was set with vacuum off, positive it is an extender chip. Base knob is currently set at 2, WOT knob currently at 0 car goes so lean and knocks that have never run it full throttle hell never even past quarter throttle, tried several different settings and there is seems to run the best. Already looked into the injectors to verify Lucas D3181AA. Cleaned the MAF no change. I know Nick Micale of AZ GN I sold him my last TR..... He told me to bring it over on a Saturday just have not had time with my work schedule.

Thank you

Thank you for verifying double the number on AF, I thought I had read that somewhere. My turbo LS1 cars have all been custom SD tunes no mass air to mess with. I know at work on a 1.8T VW I see MAF readings well into the 200 G/S under acceleration so it would seem is a MAF issue. Just wanted to consult with fellow TR owners to make sure I am not missing something.

Thank you for your input and assistance guys!! I appreciate it! Replaced the MAF and the Oxygen sensor. Replaced MAF first A/F ratios returned to 10.9:1 under full throttle acceleration, AF numbers were up around 150 so 300 with the chip. Couple of times I had a little knock it pulled timing right away. Then replaced Oxygen sensor and is switching properly now and vehicle is just reacting properly. Love this site and how everyone jumps in to help where they can!