car dies when radio is turned on

MaroonType

Maybe someone can help me out on this one. When i turn on my radio when the car is running it will completly die. I just replaced my postive battery cable the other day but i looked around and didnt mess with anything else. Maybe a weak alternator? I have a power antenna too if that helps

Did you mess with the small wires on the starter solenoid? Did you check alternator output with a voltmeter?

Hi,
If the alternator was bad, and the battery voltage dropped too low, the car would stall. However,it would not restart until you charged the battery.As far as your radio killing it, not for that reason,unless you are running enough amp to power the Stones next tour.Wouldn't that be a great anti theft idea, to wire a kill switch into the radio?Aside from that, I am afraid I will have to stop speculating without further information. Good luck!

I had a similar problem except mine would do it w/ brakes,pw's,headlights,etc

I know this has been beat to death but i fought this prob all last season.

GROUNDS. I know I know I know.

Check to see if you have a good ground to motor from batt. then check for woven stainless ground strap from block or tranny bell housing to frame. then this is probably the one that is causing your issues, the woven ground from bellhousing to BODY.located on firewall near coilpack on drivers side.this one was broke at BH and i never thought to check it because it was visibly there.
check to see if broken or not tight at either end.

hope this helps.

how much voltage coming from the alt? Mine started acting funny when it was going out... Something to check. should be in the high 13 low 14..