Car dies after letting off gas and hard on brake.

Basically what the subject says. My wife's cousin just recently bought a 87 GN and today he said he had to make a quick stop and the car died. I was wondering if there is any direction I can point him in. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

Probably just needs to do the spring cleaning and IAC reset...BUT it would help to know if there are any mods done to the car, maybe running a 9" higher stall torque converter, etc...

A small vacuum leak would do it, too...Check all the vacuum hoses for cracks, etc...

INFO...INFO...WE NEED MORE INFO!!! :D

Originally posted by FJM568
INFO...INFO...WE NEED MORE INFO!!! :D
Sorry... Any way, from the little time I had to look at I could see it had Blue tops, a TE series turbo, 3"DP, and he said it had a 2800 stall convert. I did put my scan tool on it real quick and the IAC's were a little high( in the 50-60 range). Could that be the problem?

Thanks,

Ryan

It's possible it just needs the IAC reset...If your wife's cousin hasn't done the spring cleaning yet, I would do it...

Do you know if the converter is the stock size 12" or if it's a smaller diameter??? It would make a difference...There is a patch to add to the chip for cars running a smaller diameter T.C. to keep them from stalling when doing quick stops...

i had a chip for stock (or maybe bigger) injectors in my car when i put in my 50's and when i would let off in boost it would die. i think it was the fuel drowning out the spark or something. its all OK now that i got a chip amde for the 50's. just a thought since i see he has bigger injectors.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get another look at it tonight. He hasn't done a spring cleaning yet because he just got the car Wed. I think we're going to go through all the reciets he has tonight and try to find out which turbo and convertor he has for sure. I suspect it has a TE 44 and a restalled D5. From the little I heard of the previous owner he sound like he really cared for this car and it also sounds like he was using a tipical club reciepe. Again, thanks for the tips.

Ryan

Vacuum brake conversion leaking vacuum?
I got tired of fighting the vacuum brake leaks & went back to the PM.

Originally posted by Turbo Ryan
Sorry... Any way, from the little time I had to look at I could see it had Blue tops, a TE series turbo, 3"DP, and he said it had a 2800 stall convert. I did put my scan tool on it real quick and the IAC's were a little high( in the 50-60 range). Could that be the problem?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thats yer problem, the TB is smokin dirty. Pull the uppipe, clean the throttle body and reset the min air rate.

When the IAC counts were around 50-60 on my car, it did the same thing from time to time...not real fun turning onto another street and the car dies and then no power steering with another car coming at you cause you just turned onto a street and ended up on the wrong side :eek: