Car Died....Won't start

hot6-231

American and Proud!!!
Need some help guys........Car died at the car wash and wouldn't fire back up. Thought it might be the Crank Sensor as last time I broke down a few years ago, same thing happened and it was the sensor. I changed the sensor, no start. Checked for spark, NO SPARK. Swaped out Ing. module and coil pack with my brothers(less then a year old, Still no spark. Check for power at computer(small red wire at battery), computer has power. Checked fuses, all ok. I'm lost now. Anyone have any ideas I may have missed??? I appreciate all replys!!!

Ken B.

I did some checking on some old posts with same problem. I'm gonna check the cam sensor and timing chain as this seems to be the next logical step. KB

Hey Ken sorry to hear about your problem.

I have a new cam sensor and the Caspers tool if you need it.

Maybe yours moved?

You check the fuses for the ECM and the CCCI?

Same thing happened to me at a car wash!

5 tows later ... i replaced the cam sensor. (10 minute install.)

Car runs like a champ now! Didnt use the special tool either. Just kept turnin it bit by bit til she idled like normal.

good luck.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Hey Ken sorry to hear about your problem.

I have a new cam sensor and the Caspers tool if you need it.

Maybe yours moved?

You check the fuses for the ECM and the CCCI?

Thanks Allen........I did check the fuses. I also have another cam sensor and I might try installing that today. First i'm going to have someone turn the engine over while I check to see if rockers are moving(timing chain will be cast out as problem). If I do have to replace the cam sensor should I just replace it and line it up as the one i'm taking out?? Thanks..........KB

Changed cam sensor.........Still no start. Car is turning over fast, i'm thinking it's GOT to be the timing chain. But will bad/broken chain cause you to have no spark at spark plug wires?? Sorry.....but this is really starting to **** me off as this is my only means of transportation right now. Anybody???:(

You said it has spark but what about fuel? Hook a fuel press guage up to the port on the fuel rail and check to see if there is enough pressure. Fuel pumps and regulators go bad all the time.

Soonergn.......Thanks for the reply.Car has plenty of fuel pressure at rail. I'm thinking timing chain. I was hoping for more replys as i'm sure i'm not the only one to have this problem. I hate to open up the engine if I don't have to, but at this point..........KB

When you replaced the Cam sensor did you see if the reticulator was turning while cranking? Easy enough to check pull the cap and have someone crank it that will rule out your broken timing chain. I'd reset the sensor #1 yadda yadda... then check the lower pulley, see if the belt is riding the inside edge, if it is you've found the problem. The 1.125 crank bolt is backing out causing the balancer and ring to move away from the Crank sensor hence no fire, pull the three intercooler fan bolts and get busy, hope you can bench at least 250lbs that and some blue loctite will keep it in place;)

Geoff

I say go simple. Check compression in a couple of cylinders on opposaite sides. If its the timing chain, the results will be obvious. I broke mine going 80 mph, had all kinds of fun, but with some help from this board, all is well now.

You can also remove valve covers and see if the rockers move.

When I had my car aprt, I put it back together and then it wouldn't start. I had a new crank sensor on it but put it in wrong, changed the way it was put in and started right up. Took me a while to figure that out. Maybe you did that. Just a thought.

Thanks guys..........I brought the car to Eric Rankin's new shop(Unlimited Motorsports) as I checked everything you guys posted, and more and still no start. After a short time he found that the NEW Crank Sensor from Autozone was NO GOOD!!! Thats right, my brand new sensor was no good from the get go. You have no idea how PI**ED off is was. Eric had another customer with the same problem(bad sensor from Autozone). So keep this in mind next time your sensor is toast. I will only buy GM sensors from here on out. I spent three days trying to figure out this nightmare and didn't figure a NEW sensor would be junk from the get go. Again......Thanks to all those who replyed..............Ken B.