Car Dealer's are Slime

dougie

But you knew that already. Here's a story that you may find interesting, even though it has nothing to do with Turbo Buicks. My nephew proudly brought over his new (170 mile used) 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS bought from a local Chevy dealer a few weeks ago. It was sold to him as barely used, with full warranty. As I looked it over, I noticed several funny things, most notably hundreds of tiny chips in the driver's side windows front & back. But no chips on the paint. Strange..... I started to look deeper and found paint overspray, buffed tail light lenses, etc. To make a long story short, we got a Chevrolet rep involved ,and it turns out the car came from an out of state Chevy dealer and was involved in a severe storm with hail and debris damage. Most of the car was repainted. The car has what is called a "Warranty Hold" on it with Chevrolet due to the damage. In the meantime the selling dealer won't fix it out of his own pocket and is leaving my nephew out in the cold. The Carfax checked out clean when my nephew bought it, but on further investigation it too looks like it was doctored or at least doesn't record the history accurately. He is still waiting for a "resolution", but Chevy has pretty much thrown it back to the dealer. The whole things smells bad. It sounds to me like a Dealer had it on his lot, it was damaged and an insurance write off, repaired and then sent to another dealer in another state to sell with a doctored Carfax. Is GM this desperate? And yes, he's now got a lawyer.

Sorry to hear about your nephew's problem.

Car dealers ARE scummy... it is ingrained in their DNA. Years ago, my brother in law was best friends with a buddy who married a car dealer’s daughter. He was my brother in laws’ college room mate and my brother in law stood up at the wedding of the friend and car dealer’s daughter. My Dad, Mom and sisters bought 5 or 6 cars from him and he was thought of as a freind of the family. He became sales manager of his father in law’s Ford dealer. When I got out of the Army, I wanted a new car and went to see him. He said he could give me a great deal on his demo, which he said was like new. I asked to see it and he said “his doctor was using it” but he’d have it the next evening. Being excited and impatient, I left work early the next day to see the car. It was up on the rack in the dealer’s service area getting new tires put on it and:confused: ... the dash was apart! They were “rebuilding” the speedometer. Lesson... NEVER trust a car dealer, even if you think they are your friend, because they will screw anyone they can and they conscience at all!

Thanks for the sympathy. He's only 19 and hasn't learned the ways of the Car Dealer yet. No he's getting a crash course.

I used to be fleet manager for my company and bought over 300 cars per year, all delivered as fleet evhicles through local dealers. I've seen every scam you can think of.

As much as I hate to say it I worked as a salesman for Bill Heard chevy for a VERY short time. You have no idea of what happens in the sales force. If you want an education you should try it sometime. You'll learn more about handling money than you'd believe. Eric and I both worked for the bastard in different locations and I'm sure he could tell you some nasty stories as well.

No doubt an auction car which is why Chevrolet won't touch it. Our place was so big that we had at least a half of a dozen guys just buying chit at the auctions. Quick and big profits. Many of times I'd be drooling over one of their latest deals only to find weird stuff like that when I put a car on the hoist. Now I used to handle all of the Rental car fleets in Orlando and a day didn't go by where I didn't hear some wild stories of how a low/no mile car got totaled or FUBAR'd from some tourist.You know GM printed Fleet Codes on the SPID label. Might be a clue. Yep. Chalk one up to experience. Well at least he bought a real Turbo'd econobox(please tell me that it isn't a NA SS) instead of some weeney car like a Colt GTS mentioned in another thread here.

But you knew that already. Here's a story that you may find interesting, even though it has nothing to do with Turbo Buicks. My nephew proudly brought over his new (170 mile used) 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS bought from a local Chevy dealer a few weeks ago. It was sold to him as barely used, with full warranty. As I looked it over, I noticed several funny things, most notably hundreds of tiny chips in the driver's side windows front & back. But no chips on the paint. Strange..... I started to look deeper and found paint overspray, buffed tail light lenses, etc. To make a long story short, we got a Chevrolet rep involved ,and it turns out the car came from an out of state Chevy dealer and was involved in a severe storm with hail and debris damage. Most of the car was repainted. The car has what is called a "Warranty Hold" on it with Chevrolet due to the damage. In the meantime the selling dealer won't fix it out of his own pocket and is leaving my nephew out in the cold. The Carfax checked out clean when my nephew bought it, but on further investigation it too looks like it was doctored or at least doesn't record the history accurately. He is still waiting for a "resolution", but Chevy has pretty much thrown it back to the dealer. The whole things smells bad. It sounds to me like a Dealer had it on his lot, it was damaged and an insurance write off, repaired and then sent to another dealer in another state to sell with a doctored Carfax. Is GM this desperate? And yes, he's now got a lawyer.

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR NEPHEW F_UP & SHOULD have had you come with him b4 buying

Toldja Eric could say something on this. BTW Eric, I had a LOT of issues with the "finance" managers. That's why you aren't still working at the "Heard". Fraud is a terrible thing.

That's ridiculous. I worked sales for 5 years and I always did what I could to make a sale but for gods sake I wouldn't go to that extreme of completely screwing over someone like that. This world is just plain crazy. There are so many scammers and lowballers out there now, now I see why all the major car companies are failing. Idiots.

I bought a new S10 once. It looked fine and ran fine. I later found out the left fender and door had been repainted when I noticed overspray and clear tape on a small portion of the molding. Never found out what happened to it but there was only few miles on it when I took delivery. Sold it a few years later. It keep eating the front rotors and I got tired of climbing into a truck.

Your nephew was probably too excited to notice the issues. I know it's easy to do when your distracted by the salesperson. That's a tactic, keep steering you away from the low points of a car. Hope he gets his money back.

If he gave you a doctored car fax I would demand my money back or sue for fraud!

I am a Dealer:eek: :biggrin:

I don't crook people but if one of my salesman pulled a stunt like that I would be happy to give the customer back his money before I got my azz sued!!!

If he was told their was a warranty he should have a "buyers guide" he signed stating whether or not it had a warranty. Find that paper! If it says he has a warranty, it should list what is covered! You have to read the fine print....

Used cars, just used cars...:biggrin:

Hummm, used car saleman. Reminds me of the joke about the men in a lifeboat, a lawyer, insurance salesman and a used car salesman.....:biggrin:

Hummm, used car saleman. Reminds me of the joke about the men in a lifeboat, a lawyer, insurance salesman and a used car salesman.....:biggrin:

Car business has been a staple in my family on both sides for a couple of generations...

You can do it and be fair, it is a choice:wink: :biggrin: