Car cut off while driving?

86TType

Slick 86 T-type
I was crusing along n car just shut off i tried to crank it n it wouldnt crank. I ran batt down trying to crank it. Charged batt upp n it crunk right up! I drove on to the house and it was cutting out when get on gas a little... Then it would catch and keep going soo it died on me in drive way and wouldnt crank back up! I have gas soo i know its not that seems lik a sensor..? Any suggestions?

Check the fuel pressure and your fuel pump, also check the relays. And do you have a hot wire to the fuel pump.

Sounds like the alternator went out and is not keeping the battery charged while driving. Do you have a volt meter so you can check the alternator output when you get the battery charged back up and get the car started again? It could even be a bad battery and it's not holding a charge.

Most auto parts stores can test your electrical charging system for you free of cost if you have a store close by.

Last edited:
DO you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, what does it show when you turn the key to run(you should be able to hear the pump run) and the fp primes? Does the gauge hold that pressure when you turn the key off? How long does it hold?

Do the plugs get wet after you crank it over? You will have to crank it and pull a plug. Does it have spark when you crank it over? You can put the removed plug in the wire and ground it on the block while a helper cranks it over, careful that coil throws a mean spark.

Any odd sounds hen you rank it over?

Im getting fire and i undid the line going to regulator and im getting fuel but it just wont crank up... Could relays b bad and still get fuel?

Wh
DO you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, what does it show when you turn the key to run(you should be able to hear the pump run) and the fp primes? Does the gauge hold that pressure when you turn the key off? How long does it hold?

Do the plugs get wet after you crank it over? You will have to crank it and pull a plug. Does it have spark when you crank it over? You can put the removed plug in the wire and ground it on the block while a helper cranks it over, careful that coil throws a mean spark.

Any odd sounds hen you rank it over?[/QUOTE
I dont have no pressure on gauge when turn key on. Do i suppose too?

So you can hear the fuel pump prime with the key forward? gotta verify fuel pressure.

If you can hear the pump prime with the key forward, that would rule out the relay.

Gauge on the fuel rail and you should have pressure when you turn the key on . Depending on your fuel pressure regulator 35 or more psi.

So you can hear the fuel pump prime with the key forward? gotta verify fuel pressure.

If you can hear the pump prime with the key forward, that would rule out the relay.

No cant hear it at all... Should i change both relays got one on hot wire too...

When you charged the battery you said it fired back up, did the car cool down in that time?
Could be ignition module possibly.

Take the wire out of the hot wire relay, and eliminate it completely, hook it back up with the stock fuel pump wires and see if it starts up.
My car did the same thing, and it was the 30 amp relay on the hot wire kit.

Do you have a way to force feed power to the pump? Like removing the harness and jumpering 12 volts to the pump to start eliminating components before you start spending money. I have a Power Probe for situations like this.

http://www.powerprobe.com/

I found out my pump is not priming when turn switch on and no fuel pressure on gauge and another thing is when i turn switch on my gas hand go way back past full and u cant even see it! Is that fuel pump maybe? Had that pump in there for about 4 years.. Sugesstions?

Did you try and disconnect the hot wire on the fuel pump and snap together the "factory" wires to the fuel pump?
See if you can hear it prime then.

mine did the same thing last year. It ended up being the socket that the hotwire relay plugged into had one terminal that wasn't tight enough and was intermittent. A little bending with a screwdriver to tighten it up and everything's been fine since.

I've said it before and I'll say it again any time I have a problem with the car the first thing I check are all the connections associated with the system. They may look fine but where the male and female parts meet they loosen up over time and need to be tightened up. 90% or more of the time it has solved the problem.

Yes i did that and it crunk up but fuel pressure dropped slowly and cut off... Then i tried it few more tines but still no pressure then tried it again and it crunk up but fuell pressure slowly fell then car went dead... What u think it might b?