Car Audio Faq

dthrock

Since Im compeletely clueless about audio stuff I thought maybe a faq like they are running in the TTA forum would be great for people like me. Have the modorator post a sticky and then as people post questions they get added to the faq. Ill get it started :)

What is the difference between a 2, 4, 5, or 6 channel amps?

What does it mean to bridge an amp/speakers?

If you get a 2 channel amp, can you run your 4 car speakers and a sub on it?

Whats the proper guage wire for your pwr and ground for an amp.

Should you always put an inline fuse on your power connection to your amp, if so what size?

Whats the proper wire size for speakers?

Whats the difference between 4ohm and 2ohm amps and how does that apply to the speakers I have?

Whats the best (lightest?) type of material to make a sub box from?

Are there speakers and amps out there I should avoid becaue of shoddy construction?

Im sure there are many more :) Some of those (a few) I knew the answer to but Ill let someone else answer them thats 100% sure.

Dave

Believe it or not I did electronics in the Navy for 6 yrs (radar and weapons systems) and then another 3 as an electronics tech for the prison system. I can build an amp from parts but just never got into the car stereo language and hardware. I know what an ohm is and have done way to many calculations with ohms law :) I understand impedence matching and such, but wasnt really getting what some of the different vaules listed on specs for speakers and amps were.

I think Ive figured out what a 2 , 4, or 5 channel amp is. 2 being usually the back speakers, 4 being front and back and 5 being front, back and sub. So whats the 6 channel for? If thats not right please correct me

Dave

you obviously have plenty of electrical experence so i dont' need to dumb it down any for you. i'll have to dumb it down for me;) i'm not a pro at this tuff, just have an idea of what i'm doing.

your right on the different channels, 6 channel would be 2 front 2 middle (lots of new cars use this) OR 2 subs (they will be left and right) and 2 rear speakers.

"If you get a 2 channel amp, can you run your 4 car speakers and a sub on it?" - I wouldn't you could run 4 speakers but it would be like only having 2, 2 left and 2 right speakers, and no sub. or only 2 subs.

fuses are good, the instructions SHOULD say what size, if not i dont' know, ask someone other than me. i woudl use a circit breaker, it would be a high amp fuse, and i think a circuit breaker woudl be easier.

"Whats the difference between 4ohm and 2ohm amps and how does that apply to the speakers I have?" -don't quote me of this but from what i've read it sounds to me that 2 ohms will be louder, but put more of a load on the amp. different speakers are rated at different ohms, normal speakers are usually 4 ohms, with dual voice coils (2 magnetic coils with 2 different imputs, almst like 2 speakers in one) you can tie them together to give you 2 ohms, but i'm not exactly sure what that does, I would stick with what the amp says to use.

al the boxes i've seen are made out of ply wood (i havent' seen many) i would guess fiberglass would work better, its more airtight, and sound resistant than wood, and lighter. but i've never seen one.

if i were to go out and buy an amp i would go with a blaupunkt, i've bought speakers and a stereo unit from then, i couldnt' have asked for anything better. there are 3 types of amps, i don't remember the names (there at the blaupunkt website, do a search on the internet) one makes a lot of power but gets really hot, one is weak but stays cold, and the one that blaupunkt uses that stays cool enough they put them in a plastic box, and they say they make plenty of amps, i've never used one before so i'm not sure, but they cound pretty cool.

hope that helps, and if i'm wrong about anythign please correct me.

Originally posted by dthrock

Whats the best (lightest?) type of material to make a sub box from?

Robes87GN

1 1/2" wood screws, predrill the holes first...
3/4" MDF fiberboard (not particle board or plywood)
liquid nails for projects (use lots of cuz no one sees the inside of your box)
Put a screw about every 1.5-2" maximum

"What is the difference between a 2, 4, 5, or 6 channel amps?"

It has seperate low level (RCA) inputs. Before you decide on an amp see what you can afford and what you want in you system to determin what multi channel amplifier you want. Also see how flexible you want you system to be?

"What does it mean to bridge an amp/speakers?"

It means to combine both left and right channel together to one (MONO)

"If you get a 2 channel amp, can you run your 4 car speakers and a sub on it?"

Yes you can but depends on if the amplifier is capable of doing that.

"Whats the proper guage wire for your pwr and ground for an amp. Should you always put an inline fuse on your power connection to your amp, if so what size?"

The instructions on the amplifier will tell you what's the proper size of the wire and fuse. But also remember if there is a long run like 15 feet or more I would step into the next size guage wire.

"Whats the proper wire size for speakers?"

I use 16g and up for full range or seperates and 12g and up for subs.

"Whats the difference between 4ohm and 2ohm amps and how does that apply to the speakers I have?"

All amps are rated at 4 ohms and most of then can go as low as 2 ohms. Car speakers use 4 ohms speakers home speakers use 8 ohm speakers. But subs differ and depends on the load the amp can handle and how many drivers your're going to use.

"Whats the best (lightest?) type of material to make a sub box from?"

MDF Medium Density Fiberwoord

"Are there speakers and amps out there I should avoid becaue of shoddy construction?"

There are too much to list. Stick with name brand.

ill swear by pioneer stereo equipment NEVER a problem i use their amps, stereo, signal processor, and speakers the only thing i havent used by pioneer is their subs i have always had RF (which im not very fond of) if i was buying a new set id either try out the pioneers or go for the square kicker solobarics.

in line fuse size depends on the quality and size of the amp but i would always mount it no more than 6-8 inches from the battery
for power wire i use 8 gauge unless im goin over 500 watts then i go to 4 gauge if you read any competition stereo books they will tell you to always use the same size power and ground but i usuially just use 8 gauge ground 10-14 gauge for speaker wire and 12 or 14 remote
i tend to use larger wire for the sound quality