Capabilities of GM 10 Bolt

turbotony1

If everything goes as planned this week, I will be the proud new owner of a Stage II with M&A heads and a 76mm turbo. :D I will be looking into a TH 400 w/ brake and chromoly drive shaft. The rear end is my concern. I want it to be capable to hold up to low 9 sec runs off a trans brake. I don't know which way to go!

Do I keep the 10 bolt in it and put in good axles and an eaton posi or spool?
or
Should I use a 12 bolt or 9'' ready built stange or moser bolt in rear end?

Have any of you guys had good luck with the 10 bolts at the power levels that I'm talking about?

What is more cost effective in the long run?

Thanks for any comments,
Anthony

plenty of cars (okay, not that many) running 8's with the 10bolt... with beefed up internals.

last i checked, you're looking at $3,000+ for a moser 9" set-up... about $1000 for the internals for your 10 bolt

If you're looking for 8 sec et I'd sell the 8.5 and put the $ toward a 9"

Well, its good to know that some people have had luck with these 10 bolts. I guess I'll roll the dice, and try to beef it up as much as possible. I'd like to make the stock rear last as long as possible. What do you guys recommend.

What axels and how many spline?

Who's posi unit, or do I need a spool? (even though I'd like to drive it on the street now and then).

Is a good aluminum cover a good investment like TA's rear end girdle?

Well, its good to know that some people have had luck with these 10 bolts. I guess I'll roll the dice, and try to beef it up as much as possible. I'd like to make the stock rear last as long as possible. What do you guys recommend.

What axels and how many spline?

Who's posi unit, or do I need a spool? (even though I'd like to drive it on the street now and then).

Is a good aluminum cover a good investment like TA's rear end girdle?

Most have repeated ring/pinion failures when the car is hooking 8 sec power regardless of what they use for parts. A spool with at least 33 spline axles would be standard stuff. Save the aggravation and sell your good 8.5 for $950 and use it toward 9" with disc brakes.

I broke a few ring and pinions and an Eaton 30 spline posi we got the car running low nines and pulling low 1.30 and high 1.2 60 foots. Also bent the axle tubes in the 8.5 a few times. Save time and money and go with a nine inch if your going to beat on the car.