Can't remove fuel rail bolts

Ive been trying to get my fuel rail off, but I can't seem to get a socket onto the bolts closer to the front. The ones on each side of the throttle body. The throttle body gets in the way and the fuel rail stops me from using a wrench. Any ideas how to get these off?

This car has been nothing but a pain lately. Trying to take off the turbo too, and the turbo bracket bolts are stuck in the block, and I've cracked one of the downpipe bolts off in the elbow.

maybe a breaker bar with a swivel end
images

or one of those swivel sockets they sell for sparkplugs

I have a deep socket, I can't even fit the socket alone in there. It's almost like I need to find a thin walled socket or something, if those exist

I just had my fuel rail off a few days ago to install a set of 60's. Passenger side was no problem, drivers side you have the cables in the way. Try putting the socket on the nut, then snake the extension past the cables onto the socket. Toughest part was getting the 25 year old injectors out! Spray them down with some WD 40, or some kind of penatrant and let it sit for a bit.

Nick

......I need to find a thin walled socket or something, if those exist

Since most of the newer owners do not have 3 times the cost of their GN invested in their tools, or much basic knowledge to keep a 25 year old car running, I wonder why they even buy them? :confused:

Anyway, if you have, or can borrow a 1/4" drive set with a 13mm socket, that should remove the fuel rail bolts. :)

Nick Micale said:
Since most of the newer owners do not have 3 times the cost of their GN invested in their tools, or much basic knowledge to keep a 25 year old car running, I wonder why they even buy them? :confused:

Anyway, if you have, or can borrow a 1/4" drive set with a 13mm socket, that should remove the fuel rail bolts. :)
+1 on the 1/4 inch drive. I've got a couple thin wall 3/8 drive that fit in there too. You will need a pry bar for those injectors most likely

I used a flat head screw driver to get the injectors out. They popped out pretty easily if I recLl correctly.

Like Nick suggested, buy a set of 1/4" drive sockets and don't use harbor freight stuff. Craftsman is still decent tools. Snap-On is great, but not worth it if you aren't making a living with 'em. As Tim Allen says......"I've got tools to FIX tools!" YOu just can't have enough tools in a tool box. $500 will get you "started" If you want a list of tools that are a must for a turbo Buick owner, I can post what I feel is a must. It'd take a bit of thinking.
The turbo mounting bracket bolts are 13mm head size and are 10mm x 1.5 thread size. I use a long wrench on the upper one and a 13mm wobbly socket on a 12" extension (3/8" drive) on the lower. You don't need a whole wobbly set. 10mm, 13mm, 15mm will get you there.
Buy every kind of socket Sears has in 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm. (1/4" drive, 3/8" drive) Same with wrenches, but add 17mm, 18mm. Buy Gear Wrench sets also. BIG flat blade screwdriver (great pry bar) complete screw driver sets, slip joint pliers, dykes (or to be politically correct......"alternative lifestyle cutters") or wire cutters in mini and normal sizes, channel lock pliers, assorted Vise Grips, complete SAE sockets for engine work, hammers (to hit the wall with when things don't go right) Power Probe electrical tester http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-2...&qid=1340914795&sr=8-1&keywords=power+probe+2 (best electrical tool ever made) Digital volt/ohm meter, good crimping pliers and strippers (not the kind that wears cheap perfume, either), Weather Pack insertion and extraction tools. Inspection mirror, flashlights, telescoping magnet, mechanical fingers, nut drivers in SAE and metric.
So guys what am I missing on the list?

great list....heres a few moreFlywheel turning/holding tool,
Door trim tool, torque wrench, scraper, knife (razor), allen sockets ( for brake calipers), torx bits

Like Nick suggested, buy a set of 1/4" drive sockets and don't use harbor freight stuff. Craftsman is still decent tools. Snap-On is great, but not worth it if you aren't making a living with 'em. As Tim Allen says......"I've got tools to FIX tools!" YOu just can't have enough tools in a tool box. $500 will get you "started" If you want a list of tools that are a must for a turbo Buick owner, I can post what I feel is a must. It'd take a bit of thinking.
The turbo mounting bracket bolts are 13mm head size and are 10mm x 1.5 thread size. I use a long wrench on the upper one and a 13mm wobbly socket on a 12" extension (3/8" drive) on the lower. You don't need a whole wobbly set. 10mm, 13mm, 15mm will get you there.
Buy every kind of socket Sears has in 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm. (1/4" drive, 3/8" drive) Same with wrenches, but add 17mm, 18mm. Buy Gear Wrench sets also. BIG flat blade screwdriver (great pry bar) complete screw driver sets, slip joint pliers, dykes (or to be politically correct......"alternative lifestyle cutters") or wire cutters in mini and normal sizes, channel lock pliers, assorted Vise Grips, complete SAE sockets for engine work, hammers (to hit the wall with when things don't go right) Power Probe electrical tester http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-219FT-Circuit-Tester/dp/B000KPU8JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340914795&sr=8-1&keywords=power probe 2 (best electrical tool ever made) Digital volt/ohm meter, good crimping pliers and strippers (not the kind that wears cheap perfume, either), Weather Pack insertion and extraction tools. Inspection mirror, flashlights, telescoping magnet, mechanical fingers, nut drivers in SAE and metric.
So guys what am I missing on the list?

I actually have all of that stuff. I've been buying tools throughout the year. I also have access to a mechanic's full set of tools in my parents' garage. (my dad's friend has been a mechanic for 50 years and is storing his tools there). He's at their house every day, but I can't stand the guy, so won't ask him about things, plus, he doesn't believe in mods. The only reason I'm not done installing all of the parts I have sitting in my room, is the frustration.