cant remove cam sensor

gn dennis

I am trying to remove my cam sensor. I have it most of the way out, will not come any further.It doesn't look like it is hanging up on anything on the out side. What should I do now? Thanks Dennis

Try to get some oil on the side of the housing down in the hole. The o-ring is probably dried out and catching on the sides. See if you can move the cam sensor up and down and rotate it and gently pry with a screwdriver to help free it up.

Try to get some oil on the side of the housing down in the hole. The o-ring is probably dried out and catching on the sides. See if you can move the cam sensor up and down and rotate it and gently pry with a screwdriver to help free it up.
I have the sensor almost all the way past the o ring. If I pull the oil pump off do you think I can see the gear on the cam sensor or is it a waste of time? Thanks

That will depend on how good your vision is.

It might be better to try and rotate / rock the engine a little back at the flex plate. It could be the gears are hung up on the camshaft gear.

I want to see of the timing gears and chain have been replaced. The gears must be up a gainst the inside of the cover. Dennis
Well I removed the cam sensor. You can see the chain and gears through the sensor hole. And mine have been replaced. Thanks for the help.

Well I removed the cam sensor. You can see the chain and gears through the sensor hole. And mine have been replaced. Thanks for the help.
How much slack does it have ? How do your cam,timing, gears look ? How much up down play do u have on the cam sensor window

What was stopping it from coming out? What did you do to get it to come out?

Hopefully whoever replaced the timing gears and chain bought a high quality set with billet gears.

Last edited:
How much slack does it have ? How do your cam,timing, gears look ? How much up down play do u have on the cam sensor window
That I don't know, is there anyway I can check slack through cam sensor hole? gears look good. How do I check the cam sensor movement? how much is allowed? It does make a little ticking noise.

What was stopping it from coming out? What did you do to get it to come out?

Hopefully whoever replaced the timing gears and chain bought a high quality set with billet gears.
I pulled the screw from the round piece with the window in it. the shaft with the gear separated from the body of the sensor. Gear looks good.

Back even before the turbo cars, we used a simple procedure to check timing chain slack.

Remove the distributor cap, or the cam sensor if it a turbo Buick engine, then turn the engine first forward then back.

Then on the back stroke see how much rotation it takes the rotor, or disk, before it moves.

Of course experience with engines in general, and some common sense will help to analyze this situation. :)

If you need help, get some measurements of the movement, than call someone with that knowledge to help you.

Do not bother with help using a smart phone or keyboard, as most of us from that era cannot respond to those devises! :LOL:

Back even before the turbo cars, we used a simple procedure to check timing chain slack.

Remove the distributor cap, or the cam sensor if it a turbo Buick engine, then turn the engine first forward then back.

Then on the back stroke see how much rotation it takes the rotor, or disk, before it moves.

Of course experience with engines in general, and some common sense will help to analyze this situation. :)

If you need help, get some measurements of the movement, than call someone with that knowledge to help you.

Do not bother with help using a smart phone or keyboard, as most of us from that era cannot respond to those devises! :LOL:
Thanks Nick, I will do some more checking to see what I can come up with. Dennis