Can you plug up the pcv?

qws2000

I keep finding oil in the throttle body, small amount, and the car has no leaks and no smoke?

Dont plug your PCV, if thats where the oil is comming from, find out where its comming from and why. Like others have said, it may be comming from your turbo, is your up-pipe oily before the throttle blade?

Everyone is telling me to just plug it up, they say"leaving that in your motor is causeing problems, and that could take
a long time to chase down......

lrayzer said:
As long as the valve covers are vented, no sweat.

Not really.... The last thing one would want to do is disable positive ventilation on a daily driver. Passive ventilation (cover vents) won't get the job done on a driver.

Sent from my iPad using Turbo Buick

What about a catch can? Having trouble finding a replacement PCV... Anyone make a decent aftermarket....

Think about it!
PCV= positive crankcase ventilation.
your rings do not seal 100%, so you (and everyone else) have blow by,
with out a way to control it, it (blowby) will seek other ways to escape,
like valve cover gaskets, front or rear crank seals, intake seals, etc.
it does not hurt anything on a street driven car.
it does relieve pressure built up in the crankcase.

I vote pan-evac rather than dilute my intake charge, guess my street cars have a little less "street" than most.

Correct me if I am wrong but the PCV is shut during boost so what good is it for evacuation then? I got sick of oil getting into my plenum even with a catch can (with check valve). Just plugged it a few weeks ago, have vents on both valve covers and so far so good. Not a daily driver though, sees frequent oil changes anyway.

This has been debated time and time again, IMOP if its not Daily driver (atleast 4 times a week) then there is no need for one.

ive been using an LT1 smog pump for some time with good results, regular pcv under normal conditions and smog pump kicks on under boost. I went from a drippy rear main to a spotty rear main. I got the write up from here on the forum... i thought it was genius.

lol

Yes the LTI pump is good for this, I saved it when I stripped it from my 96 SS, still don't want it in my intake charge.