Can you do a T-Top conversion on these cars?

just replace the solid roof with a t top one.. YES..easier said than done. Finding a rust free T roof maybe hard to find to.

Can I trim the existing roof or cut the entire roof off and replace it with a junk yard donor. Does anyone have any links to anyone that has already done this. I searched the forum and google but didn't find anything.

Cut the whole roof off at the pillars and a GOOD body man should be able to install it on the new car. For what its worth if you want t-tops that bad sell the car and buy one with them.

Can I trim the existing roof or cut the entire roof off and replace it with a junk yard donor. Does anyone have any links to anyone that has already done this. I searched the forum and google but didn't find anything.

The car is off topic, but Rad Rides by Troy converted a 1987 Camaro with T-tops to a hard top. They have some pictures of the car in their projects section on the conversion. They call it the F87. The pictures are at the very beginning of the build. I hope this helps. Just google Rad Rides.

A member here did the opposite..cut off the T's and put on a hardtop. if you ask him I'm sure he will have tons of advice! I'll see if I can find the thread....

t top

I am a body man and i took a good t top 86 olds and switched it to a 87 gn.you sawzall 1 foot down from the top of the t-top to the mirror.and cut it 2 inches behind the middle of the roof trim .when you are done you have a big "h".you can call me if you have any questions . 774 930 4156 joe

why would u ever want to do that? there is a reason hard top cars pull more money then ttop cars

The car is off topic, but Rad Rides by Troy converted a 1987 Camaro with T-tops to a hard top. They have some pictures of the car in their projects section on the conversion. They call it the F87. The pictures are at the very beginning of the build. I hope this helps. Just google Rad Rides.
I know a lot a f body owners do the T-Top conversion. With the F bodys you are able to trim the roof back and them install the trim. All in all not that major of a surgery.

I am a body man and i took a good t top 86 olds and switched it to a 87 gn.you sawzall 1 foot down from the top of the t-top to the mirror.and cut it 2 inches behind the middle of the roof trim .when you are done you have a big "h".you can call me if you have any questions . 774 930 4156 joe
Thanks! If I ever do I'll give you a call.

why would u ever want to do that? there is a reason hard top cars pull more money then ttop cars
Don't really care about value or keeping things orginal or the way other people like it. I love driving T-top cars.
Your just in luck! I want a hard top and I have a t top car...

I don't have a Regal yet, but I found one near by I'm going to go look at tommorow. It's a hard top and I really do perfer T-top cars. I've wanted a turbo regal for a long time now. I've always owned f bodys. T-top conversions on f bodys are pretty common and not that difficult. I think the only way I would do a conversion on a g body is if I was doing a full paint job.

Hers's the car I'm going to look at.

X Motorsport - 1987 Buick Regal T-Type Grand National - Elmhurst, Illinois

What do you guys think of the car and the price?

eg_800.jpg

Car looks pretty nice. Buick did not make a t-type in 87 though. Looks to be some nice mods done to car. That price is not to bad.Its alittle high considering the market for cars right now. Gotta love the monte tail pipes:biggrin: I drove down grand 4 times this week and dont remember seeing this place. I worked for chevy for 7 years right there.

Didn't know that they didn't make T-types in 87. I found this on Wiki.

"The T-Type logo consisted of a large red letter "T", and the word "Type" in small black or white letters. The emblems were only placed on the fenders and on some later models (1986) a grille emblem was used. The single T was only used on the turbo Regals and only in 1987. Originally the T-type name was to be an appearance package and used across the line (which it did) but was confused by the turbo Regal when the 3.8 turbo motor could be ordered with the T-type package. In 1987 Buick dropped the T-Type package on the Regal. All turbo Regals in 1987 came with the Y56 T package and have a T badge on the fenders and on the horn button. This T package is often erroneously thought to designate the Turbo T package, which is solely the WE4 Regal."

Is there any difference between the WE4 and Y56 package?

And much do you guys think I should offer (if the car represents it's self the same as it does in the pics and description)?

lots of opinions on the whole Turbo T package only being the WE4 and the rest of the cars not being a Turbo T.

A WE4 was all black including bumpers like a GN. Also had the WO2 black out package so not chrome trim around the lights and such. Had T rims though and normally a grey interior..(Not sure if you could get em with another color...but I think you could get em Maroon as well). So the three codes you would have for sure on that model car is the Y56, WE4, and WO2...and hopefully G80! lol

If you didn't have the WE4 you could still order the Y56..you could even still order the WO2 package! There are a few white Y56 cars out there with the WO2 package as welll...looks sharp!!

But mechanically...no...no difference.

(I think WE4 might have come with aluminum bumper supports and rear drums as well...but not sure...)

HTH