Can/USA Border Hassles

Jimn8or

Happy Thoughts
Just curious as to how many of you Canucks get a hard time at the border when you bring parts bought from this board back across????
I cross the border at least 3-4 times a week, both professionally and on pleasure. I currently have parts held at the border because they think I got too good a deal off this board!? WTF? I provided a copy of the e-mail and they said that anybody can make this up on their home computer. I guess that's true, but somehow they also figure that I would risk my job as a pilot to save a couple of dollars on a part/duty! Geezus, this is frrrrrrustrating!
Tomorrow I am going there with a copy of my PM's between the seller and I and his address & phone number. If this isn't good enough they say, then I'll be charged storage on this part until it is auctioned off...so I can't just say Keep It and leave.
What do you guys do????
Sincerely POed
Jim

I feel your pain, they wanted to keep my GN at the border when I bought it in Toronto a couple of years ago.:eek: I did my research before bringing it back and they told me that I just needed to get it inspected when I got it back to Cleveland. But the guys working that day at the border were slightly clueless. Finally their supervisor came out and we talked for a few minutes, and he said 'see ya'. I practically ran out of there.

The funny thing is they never even looked at the car or in the car.:confused:

This was pre- 9/11 so I'm sure its much worse now. At least you are declaring the parts. How much is the storage?

What were you trying to bring across? was it new or used? Border hassles work both ways. I once knew a guy in BC that had a buch of Mustang parts seized for the same reason. He never got them back :( Probably best to have a professional company like ups/fed ex look after dealing with the border.

I have a US address that is basically a 'Mail Boxes Etc' with a proper address, no PO Box. Friendly Gal charges me $3 to p/u items and thus far I have had no problems crossing the borders with parts, till now. I guess the part that has my underwear in a bunch is the fact that they think I'm BSing them and tell me my receipt has no value to them.
Jim

Originally posted by Jimn8or
I have a US address that is basically a 'Mail Boxes Etc' with a proper address, no PO Box. Friendly Gal charges me $3 to p/u items and thus far I have had no problems crossing the borders with parts, till now. I guess the part that has my underwear in a bunch is the fact that they think I'm BSing them and tell me my receipt has no value to them.
Jim

Jimmy, I have really found that Canada Customs does their best to harass the honest people and basically"encourages" smuggling by making it so difficult on the people who actually try to do things by the book. It's freaking disgusting IMO. You may want to try Pt Roberts. I know its alot further away, but they are generally easier to get along with there since it is such a small border crossing.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 40' ocean container that has been on hold in Montreal for 10 days now and Customs won't tell us why or when they'll release it. :mad: G-damn government :mad:

Ya customs suck

Not sure what to tell you, just that if you can do your research and call them on their BS they will probably back down. Not that im telling you to be an a$$ hole. If you have a lawyer and it wont cost too much, bring him/her into the mix or threaten to.

Just throwing some things out there, not really sure what to do exactly. If I was angry enough I would probably go all out just to get my stuff.

Im really surprised they have their panties in a knot since you declared your stuff, its really none of their business how you got the deal, ask them what they had for breakfast ? :mad:

Good thing the Talibahn are smart enough to sneak across the border,rather then shipping themselves across..............:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: