Can someone tell me what this is, please?

Toxic Donkey

1. partsforsale020_zpsa2eed31b.jpg
    It was in the car when I bought it and the old gentleman that I purchased the car from was not too familiar with any of the aftermarket parts that had been installed. I was told that it might be an old knock guage but not for sure. So far I have discovered deka 60# injectors, tt 5.6 chip, alky control. Thanks guys.

Toxic Donkey said:
[*]It was in the car when I bought it and the old gentleman that I purchased the car from was not too familiar with any of the aftermarket parts that had been installed. I was told that it might be an old knock guage but not for sure. So far I have discovered deka 60# injectors, tt 5.6 chip, alky control. Thanks guys.

Looks like an old knock gauge

My guess would also be a knock sensor, just from the basic layout.

aaron

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Green is good [no knock] as it gets "Warmer" [yellow -orange-red] you are experiencing progressively more knock.

...at least thats how most led knock sensors work

Toxic Donkey said:
Thank you. Would this one be ok to keep... reliability wise?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have a scanmaster? You could get under the hood and tap around and compare your scanmaster reading and the lights on the gauge.

I have bought one but have not installed it yet, hopefully this week. I have been trying to read all I can since all of my automotive experience has been centered around 60s and 70s chevys and pontiacs. Would I compare the knock guage to the kr readings of the scanmaster?

If you don't have a scanmaster you really should get one, not sure how guys can tune without one and i'm a newbee.

Joel

Yes, your scanmaster will show you precise degrees of ignition retard. The more degrees the more knock. You'd be comparing degrees to lights, I guess you could compare more numbers to more lights. But don't know how much knock a light is meant to represent?
Joel

If you don't have a scanmaster you really should get one, not sure how guys can tune without one and i'm a newbee.

Joel

I personally would not by a Scanmaster as a tuning device. Get a powerlogger and a wideband o2 sensor. After the car is tuned the Scanmaster can be handy. There are two different ways of monotoring knock. Scanmaster shows the ECM reaction to the knock signals. Caspers knock gauges show the raw knock signal to the ECM. Brad

I personally would not by a Scanmaster as a tuning device. Get a powerlogger and a wideband o2 sensor. After the car is tuned the Scanmaster can be handy. There are two different ways of monotoring knock. Scanmaster shows the ECM reaction to the knock signals. Caspers knock gauges show the raw knock signal to the ECM. Brad
Thanks for the clarifications Brad.
I thought a powerlogger required a scanmaster, clearly much for me to learn.
When people say wideband 02 sensor, does it litterally bolt where the stock 02 sensor goes? Powerlogger gives you stream of data correct?
Joel

Thanks for the clarifications Brad.
I thought a powerlogger required a scanmaster, clearly much for me to learn.
When people say wideband 02 sensor, does it litterally bolt where the stock 02 sensor goes? Powerlogger gives you stream of data correct?
Joel

This may help. The wide band 02 sensor gives you air/fuel ratio. It is installed typically on the testpipe away from the heat of the engine. The Scanmaster is a way out of date tool that I personally feel is useless as a tuning tool. The powerlogger attaches to your ECM and records exactly what is going with your engine the whole time you are recording. This enables you to review your cars performance from the safety of your favorite chair at home. You can even e-mail the logs to other members for their review. The days of using a Scanmaster as a tuning device are basically over. Great add on after you have tuned your car using a powerlogger and wideband. My 2 cents. BRAD

Damn. Now Im really confused. I bought the scanmaster because after all I read, I thought it was essential.

i have one and it has been very useful

i think brad is speaking to one step above

i have found the scanmaster to be very useful and i think your money is well spent

joel

I have one in my car, got it 13 years ago. Still hooked up and my only aftermarket gauge.
I have kept the TR stock except for chip and exhaust, but I should really get a scan tool.
Knock gauge reads green on normal driving but goes all the way red when I push it hard.
Will get a Scanmaster to see what's going on.

Toxic Donkey said:
Damn. Now Im really confused. I bought the scanmaster because after all I read, I thought it was essential.

Don't be confused. A scanmaster is a MUST.

Tuning with a Scanmaster is old school and way to inefficient. Funny how highboostgn uses a powerlogger. My point is made and on to new things. Brad

Mine has lasted 25 years, so yeah, the Gray gauge works, it lights up a bit more upon false (and real) knock than the caspers gauge but it does work just fine.

I will look around for a copy of the instructions, there's a couple of other wires to it that could be used for an audible alert as well.