can someone list all hybrids done w/ turbo 3.8 motors

Originally posted by Intercooled88s
V8 swaps into Corvairs

Thats what I thought you meant.
No dealers ever did V8 swaps on Corvairs as specialty models. There were however a few companies that produced parts or kits to do so. The original was Crown Engineering.http://www.corvaircorsa.com/crown1a.html
There was also Mid Engineering.

Don Yenko did produce a run of Yenko Stinger Corvairs which were the first dealer performance specialty cars produced using GM's COPO system. http://www.corvaircorsa.com/yenko02.html

I think it was Yenko, it was many years ago I read it in a magizine. Didnt Yenko install 427s in New 396 chevelles prior to the COPO cars.

Originally posted by Intercooled88s
I think it was Yenko, it was many years ago I read it in a magizine. Didnt Yenko install 427s in New 396 chevelles prior to the COPO cars.
The Yenko Corvair's, Camaro's, Chevelle's and Nova's were factory built cars using the COPO (Central Office Production Order). Originally these type of orders were set up for dealers ordering specific custom options for fleet used (Police, Taxis,Ambulance, etc).
Don Yenko pulled some strings with his contacts at GM to use this to build performance cars. Other dealers followed suit. Berger Chevrolet was one such dealer to have a special COPO option fto have the all aluminum 427 installed into the Camaro in 1969.
The COPO Yenko Camaro's and Chevelle's were factory fitted with the L72 427 (iron block) in 1969 only. These cars came with select options usually reserved for SS models even though these cars were NOT SS models. Don again had a COPO code building LT1 powered Nova's in 1970. Don continued to offer specialty cars into the 1980's with the last being the 1981 Yenko Turbo Z.
Many people get confused when you mention the specialty cars such as the Nickey , Baldwin/Motion, Yenko or other cars.
The majority of Nickey and Baldwin/Motion cars were swapped at the respective dealerships. Many of the 427 Chevelle's, Nova's and Camaro's these dealers built started as factory 396 built cars and had their engines swapped after they left the assembly line.
A true COPO car had its special engine installed BY GM.
Nickey, Berger and others (as previously mentioned) eventually had COPO codes made specifically for them. But by and far, there were more COPO cars made for Yenko than any specific dealer.

Hi all, thought I'd throw my projects in the mix. Working on 2 cars right now, A '53 Studebaker with a stock "87 GN motor & tranny with a 9" ford rear. This one is the wife's toy. Hope to have it done in late 2005. Second one is a bit more exciting. It is a fiberglass replica of a 917 Porsche on a VW chassis. This one is getting a warmed over "87 GN motor with a TH 425 tranny in a mid engine type configuration. Since this combo should come in at about 2400# , it should be a fun ride :) Time frame for this one is also 2005, if I can get my head out of where the sun doesn't shine. TAZ

I know of a 61 or 62 Buick Skylark with a 3.8 in it as well as a 65 and 69 Skylarks with 3.8's, the 65 is absolutely gorgeous and last I checked the 69 isn't running and I know another guy thats putting one in another 69 but hasn't started it. Anyone else know of more old Buick iron with Turbo 6 power?

wow, you guys sound like you have made great cars I myself would love to have the opportunity to do such a swap in my vette after I have some usage out of my 396, I would have posted earlier but suddenly got called back to work what a bummer..
Do we have any links so we can check out the goods?

Alan

Now that's some ooold Buick Iron, I'm just glad no one has beat me to the 65 Riviera idea. Keep this stuff coming.

Camaro and Mustang.

86 Camaro many saw it at the buick event down at US41 a few years ago. I'm in the process of buying it off the guy I helped build it. It was a stock block car(3.8) FAST injecton .72 turbo 9" rear with 3:50's Was running 10.92@124mph on pump gas through the mufflers on dot's with a 1.49 60' leaving the line with the foot brake and 6lbs of boost. I'll be putting in a girdled stock block ported heads and a 400th trans with a brake.

The other car is a 88LX hatch mustang. Firewall moved back 3.5" relocated strut towers boxed front frame rails 10pt cage Tubular K member and all controll arms sub frame conn. ect. Engine was in a 89 Camaro running low 11's on 15lbs boost pump gas again.
Car should be done in the spring. Engine/tranny's in the car doing body and paint now. Should be fun.. well for a ford anyway. :)

glad we have a hybrid section.~

geesh Im glad we have this hybrid section even though Im a junior on this board Ive seen the light, Ive spent many moons on the corvetteforum and have to admit even though Ive spent lots and lots of my paycheck on my juice motor vette that just got finished Im stuck on the turbobuick and didnt take much convincing, I think this is a sweeter swap than the guys running tuned port injection chevys ...

Alan

I was looking at a porsche site and came across a 944 with a hot air set up. I have a clean 944 that I use as a daily driver and was thinking about this install. Cool car!:D