Can replacing the power antenna cause diminished value?

FirstLC2

So here's my dilemma, I have an 18k mile car whose power antenna mast just died today. (Motor keeps running, antenna won't go down).

I know that the fender has to come off to replace this part. My concern is that by spinning the bolts on the fender, it will throw a red flag for body damage. A future buyer may devalue the car because of the spun fender bolts and the potential that it's been in an accident.

Am I better off with a bum antenna than turning the bolts?

Do you guys think this is a legitimate concern? Or am I over thinking it? Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Mine is inop right now too. I think that a working antenna is better. Just document the repair. I bought the replacement a few months ago, but I have yet to install it. 11k mile car.
KID

First, you don't have to take the fender completely off. I've done this replacement on my GN and it takes about 4 bolts you access when you open the passenger door and maybe 3 bolts up under the fender well. You remove just enough to get your hand up under the fender to reach the antenna while at the same time not placing too much stress on the fender to crease it. It's not as scary as it sounds.

I overthink things all the time, especially on this car but there's nothing nicer than a functioning power antenna.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I hadn't researched changing the antenna yet
So I didn't comment on how it's done. I figured and hoped it could be done without removing the fender. Thanks for clearing it up for us!
KID

Sounds like you never drive it so I would just leave it alone and not risk scratching the paint.

Painters tape, keeps the door from getting scratched while wrenching in there. I took mine completely out, I just use iphone for radio anyways. I put a 3/4 black cap in the hole.

I just replaced the power antenna unit. Get the Kirbans book on the procedure and his steel cable reman. unit. Not hard. Make sure you have another person to help when lining up the new unit.

Thanks for the comments. I'm not concerned with difficulty to replace it. I'm concerned about potential value impact due to the fender bolts being spun.

I think documenting the repair as suggested would be fine for a Turbo Buick enthusiast. But would someone else feel the same way that doesn't know these cars that well? Thinking it's been in an accident .That is my concern

I'm heavily leaning on just leaving it alone.

Thanks for the comments. I'm not concerned with difficulty to replace it. I'm concerned about potential value impact due to the fender bolts being spun.

I think documenting the repair as suggested would be fine for a Turbo Buick enthusiast. But would someone else feel the same way that doesn't know these cars that well? Thinking it's been in an accident .That is my concern

I'm heavily leaning on just leaving it alone.
If they are smart enough to look for disturbed screws they will also know that your fender is original and not a crash repair.

Just shave the antenna and put a windshield with antenna in. Then tell people it was a special order FBI version 1 of 1 prototype

I hope you don't feel the same way about the oil drain bolt.

Seriously, unplug it and call it 'factory original' or fix it. It's not going to matter either way.

Yup tape up all edges good and then put a little piece of folded saran wrap on the bolt head and no one will ever know it was touched. Iv'e replaced about dozen of them and it's really not that hard. GNX ? another story (pain in the A- - )

kirban 2 cents worth: Antenna failures is as common as powermaster failures mostly due to age and the wound up plastic cable. Advice about getting the book we sell is helpful. We also offer a service to get your original antenna rebuilt by an expert who does Buick antennas replaces that cable with a steel cable.

This would be the best choice in my opinion. I have had those antennas fail on cars I bought. As far as original having it fixed make better sense as any potential buyer will rather have it working than facing the issues of getting it done.

The aftermarket ones are not much better than your 30 year old one.

denniskirbaan@yahoo.com